4R100 Question for Mark Kovalsky

David N

Reaction score
~I have a friend with a 2000 F350 Powerstroke, stock auto, with 180,000 miles. He called this morning and said when the shifter is put in the "D" position, it feels like its starting in 3rd gear.

~He said it shifts fine if you manually shift it, up/down. There are no hard shifts, reverse works great, all gears work and pull fine, but you have to manually shift it.

~He says there are no codes, fluid level is fine, it doesn't smell burnt either. He did admit he doesn't remember the last time he's changed the fluid or filter, though.

~So my question is, what could be causing this? Solenoids? I read some of your old posts and you mentioned if the solenoids aren't getting power then they revert to 3rd gear as a basis. This sounds like what is happening, but I can't find anymore info on this subject. Thanks in advance to anyone who may know something.

TARM

Reaction score
I am not Mark but maybe I can take a shot at what it might be (right or wrong)

That sounds like it can be a bad wire harness connection or the actual Transmission Electronic Control Assembly could have gone bad. Is the OD light flashing.? If he can get someone with a reader such as AE he can check the Trans codes. Basically something coming back saying it's have g Com issues with the pcm.

This can sometimes be chaffed wires at the trans connector so check that. Usually when you here the symptoms of it starting out in what feels like 3rd in D but otherwise shifts and runs fine it means the Trans is in limp mod because of a comm error.

Hey of the good side hopefully it means nothing more than a exposed wire or connect to fix or at worst replacement of a bolt on controller assembly, not a Trans pull and full rebuild.

Of course I could be wrong and will gladly defer to others with more experience.

range91

Reaction score
Fail safe is 4th gear if trans has no power to it this is what will happen. You can check for 12v at pin 12 red with yellow tracer. Solenoid connector in known to get corroded as well.

David N

Reaction score
Thanks Tarm. I didn't mean to single out anyone else. I'm open to all suggestions.

And I have actually driven the truck. Im just going off of what he says. He says 3rd gear, but it could very well be OD or second for that matter. He says it has more power when you pull it down to "2", it moves easier, so I would think that its a gear above 2nd.

Ill tell him to start checking connections.

And I have AE. I just won't be around him for another 2 weeks.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
That sounds like it can be a bad wire harness connection or the actual Transmission Electronic Control Assembly could have gone bad.
That's a really interesting theory. Where is this TECA located? What does it do? I've never seen a TECA on a 4R100. How would this 4R100 have one? And why would it be there?

As was said above if there is no power to the solenoids the trans will be in fourth gear when the shifter is in OD. It will go to second gear if the shifter is moved to 2. I suspect there is no power to the solenoids. Check for +12V at the red wires on the transmission connector on the passenger side of the transmission.

ghohouston

Reaction score
is your buddy sure he is in the correct gear? no offense to him, but ive seen many older fords with a worn out shift lever assembly (or whatever wears out that makes them sloppy), and you will think youre in d, but youre in 3. could just be something stupid. just a thought

TARM

Reaction score
That's a really interesting theory. Where is this TECA located? What does it do? I've never seen a TECA on a 4R100. How would this 4R100 have one? And why would it be there?

As was said above if there is no power to the solenoids the trans will be in fourth gear when the shifter is in OD. It will go to second gear if the shifter is moved to 2. I suspect there is no power to the solenoids. Check for +12V at the red wires on the transmission connector on the passenger side of the transmission.

You are absolutely correct Mark. I was super tired when I posted and just had a brain fart. I actually tried to go back and edit and it was past the time period then I fell asleep. I totally forgot about it till this evening. Yes of course you are correct as you well know. Must have been good for a chuckle on your part (me looking like a knuckle head and rightly so)

I have had that connector get the power wire chafted and it caused that exact issue and another time on a friends truck the connector itself was buggered.

As for the TECA if I was to label on our trucks it would be the PCM.

BTW I wanted to thank you for so many of your posts, on a number of the various forums over the years. I have used them a great deal and saved me much grief. Are you still modding over at TDS? I think that is the first place I ever read a post from you on.

David N,

No that is not what I meant. I guess I could have worded it better. I meant I as a person with no where the experience of Mark would take a shot @ it, right or wrong as the answer maybe. More qualifying to double check what I said.

Last edited:

David N

Reaction score
So... Update.

I went and physically drove the truck today.
-Nothing is funky with the shifter.
-The torque converter fully locks/unlocks as should, when it should.
-According to Auto Enginuity, the PCM is commanding it to stay in OD as soon as you put the shifter in "D".
-If you pull the shifter down to "2" or "1", it shifts down as it should.
-Temperature never got anywhere near hot enough to destroy things and it doesn't smell burnt.
-I checked the plug on the passenger side of the trans, and it does indeed have power (12v) at that plug, at the 2 pin locations that call for power.

-Another thing, on AE, there is a parameter that is called "Transmission Range Sensor Volts".
In Reverse this had 1.61 volts
In Drive it had 1.61 volts
In "2" it had zero volts
In "1" it had zero volts.
Can these figures have anything to do with the problem?

Latest posts

Members online