4r100 went bang

mustube

Reaction score
The truck in my signature had the tranny rebuilt in April of last year and the tranny just went bang and then nothing as I was on the access road on light throttle. I have a warranty but I'm just curious what it could have been or what to look for. I have no gears forward or reverse and the motor starts and runs fine and no weird noises it just doesn't move. No fluid leaking either.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

David N

Reaction score
Could be input, could be overdrive planetary. There's really no way to know until you tear into it.

mustube

Reaction score
There was a code for incorrect gear ratio stored in the computer so they got authorization to pull it apart tomorrow to see what went boom.

mustube

Reaction score
Oliver Brothers in Bryan, Tx. The shop that has my truck now said a shaft broke but when I asked him which one he said a support shaft so I'm not sure if that means the intermediate shaft or the support hub or what but I'm going to talk to them monday.

mustube

Reaction score
IMG_20140201_115536622.jpg

redneck1

Reaction score
Intermediate shaft. Go for a billet shaft, peace of mind and it won't break right away again. My trans been apart twice with that shaft, third time I dropped the dough and figured it was worth it. Glad to see you got it figured out.

mustube

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't have 650 to spend on a shaft and it was under warranty. I don't have the power to break a shaft and I've also heard of the billet shafts breaking too. If it happens again I'll try the heat treated shaft that john woods offers.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
thats exactly what i was going to say what happend to your trans. i blew the intermediate in my BTS as well. BANG and right in to neutral, no pump noise, forward or reverse. Glad you found the issue

mustube

Reaction score
Happened again yesterday. Back to the shop today. Warranty ends next week so I got lucky with timing I guess. This problem definitely has some shifting issues causing it. Sometimes it doesn't want to shift into third at all unless I tap the overdrive button, and both times it broke, it did so right after the 2-3 shift. Fingers crossed they fix it right this time.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Happened again yesterday. Back to the shop today. Warranty ends next week so I got lucky with timing I guess. This problem definitely has some shifting issues causing it. Sometimes it doesn't want to shift into third at all unless I tap the overdrive button, and both times it broke, it did so right after the 2-3 shift. Fingers crossed they fix it right this time.

I'd be looking to extend the warranty too....sounds like it's developing MORE issues.

mustube

Reaction score
I don't think it has any new issues. It did that last time a few times before it broke, I just didn't know the overdrive button would make it shift since my wires were broken on the shifter handle

Gearhead

Reaction score
Wonder if something is binding. Are you running any kind of programmer? If oliver brothers cant keep it running i have another guy local to Bryan that can build a good 4r100

mustube

Reaction score
Matt I have your tunes on a hydra chip.

I think the 37s are not the issue. How many trucks are out there with 37s or larger? You can't tell me they are all breaking intermediate shafts and having shift issues. Something got missed in the rebuild.

range91

Reaction score
I had a customer break his twice crew cab on 315's he had a ts chip. Another customer that had 38r with hybrids that never broke intermediate shaft
And he beat the **** out the truck. Weight gearing tire size and shift firmness all plays in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online