4r100?

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have a question for Mark, the Ford tranny engineer-mechanic guru.

I have the same transmission in my '01 7.3, I think. I'm not sure if the fluid has ever been changed. I just got it a few weeks back, first diesel, etc..

What are the possible outcomes to changing it such as can new fluid cause the tranny to slip? I've heard numerous times throughout my entire life that the old fluid will have metal shavings and/or gunk built up in it that actually helps the tranny grip. I've always simply never serviced a transmission due to that, never had a problem either on my regular gas cars and trucks. Removing that gunk and adding new fluid can end up being too slippery is the expectant, I guess.

Any insight would greatly be appreciated. I want to have it serviced but I don't want the need for a new tranny to rear it's ugly head either. Not so soon at least.

Odometer currently reads 138,400 miles but the title reads 283, 7xx miles so not sure what the miles are. Again, I just bought it and obviously there's a discrepency. She runs good, shift kit in the tranny or so I was told. When I really get on it there is no shift overlap, just slams quickly into gear if that helps.

Thanks.

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
just do a pan drop and filter change, no flush... 6 months later, drain the fluid again and replace the 7.5 qts lost

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.