4wd Launching

Kxc

Reaction score
Headed to the track this weekend for a bracket race... How do you guys launch? With the mods in my sig how likely am I to break something launching in 4wd multiple times? Previously I left with the E-locker engaged and just power braked to about 10 psi boost, I have herd that this can cause de-fueling. My best with that strategy was 13.78 at 98mph with 1.85 60 ft. on tie-rant tunes and stock turbo .Tried a few light launches with starting in manual in 2nd gear and that seems to leave way quicker. I have one of Middwesttts tunes in there now for the bigger turbo and the shifts are firm as hell. 5th gear seems to have a whine/howl to it (possibly slipping?) Thoughts???

sootie

Reaction score
dont use the e-locker. start in manual mode 2nd and then bump the shifter to D. Or else pay Morgan to write you a track only tune start starts in 2nd with the lever in D. Use 4x4 hi and brake boost to 1800 rpm. you should be at least in the 1.7x 60' range. Keep upping the launch rpm until the truck starts hopping.

Kxc

Reaction score
Good stuff. The "Morgan budget" has been depleted until 2017... unless OUO Trac bars go on sale ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
10 psi is a pretty soft launch, like Ron said stage using rpm instead of boost, you'll get a more consistent launch that way.

You would know if the truck was defueling, the pedal basically goes dead for a moment.

Kxc

Reaction score
10 psi is a pretty soft launch, like Ron said stage using rpm instead of boost, you'll get a more consistent launch that way.

You would know if the truck was defueling, the pedal basically goes dead for a moment.

I def didn't feel it so I guess not. Thought maybe it was minor defueling or timing thing.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score

If you pull the front wheel sensor, will it still defuel under this driving condition?

sootie

Reaction score
i simply dont see the benefit of using the e-locker at all. Its not like a tune only truck has the power to spin more than two of the four tires at any given time anyway :shrug:

Kxc

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the howl / whine I hear when it shifts into 5th at WOT ?

Reaction score
Ehh I've literally put 100's of quarter mile runs on my truck, half of them on the bottle, my best launching rpm was 2500ish with drag radials on the truck, I like shifting my trans though because in D the transmission slips like no one's business. I don't use the elockers, and I'd usually shift around 3200rpm on no spray and around 3800-4000rpm on spray. I'd like to get to a track where times are working, but at any no prep meets I've been in the top 3.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online