4wd school me

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
iv been using 4wd for years and kinda know the basics but dont know what i really should know. i have an 04 f250 4x4 with warn locking hubs. i hear that the 4wd is auto and manual at the same time. also that it functions with the ac system. my question is if you have manual locking hubs how is 4wd auto? the switch inside should only work for locking in the transfer case to the front drive shaft.

webb06

Reaction score
iv been using 4wd for years and kinda know the basics but dont know what i really should know. i have an 04 f250 4x4 with warn locking hubs. i hear that the 4wd is auto and manual at the same time. also that it functions with the ac system. my question is if you have manual locking hubs how is 4wd auto? the switch inside should only work for locking in the transfer case to the front drive shaft.

with the factory hubs they can be manually locked in by physically turning the knob on the hub and flipping the switch inside the cab, or automatically (if everything is functioning properly) by flipping the switch inside. the hubs are automatically activated by a vacuum which "suck" the hubs in to the gears on the axle shaft when the switch inside the cab is activated, at the same time the transfer case is locked in to 4wd.

with your warn hubs im not so sure they function the same way.

mustube

Reaction score
Warn hubs won't work the same way, they will be manual only. The auto hub system only works if you have the stock lock outs, your vacuum pump is in working order, vacuum lines don't leak, and if your axle seals behind the unit bearing assemblies don't leak.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Warn hubs won't work the same way, they will be manual only. The auto hub system only works if you have the stock lock outs, your vacuum pump is in working order, vacuum lines don't leak, and if your axle seals behind the unit bearing assemblies don't leak.

Basically what he is saying. Vacuum hubs are junk, and don't waste your time. Your warns are straight locked in or out. Its simple and reliable.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
So its still in 4wd even if the vacumme part doesnt work since i have warn locking hubs

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

webb06

Reaction score
Basically what he is saying. Vacuum hubs are junk, and don't waste your time. Your warns are straight locked in or out. Its simple and reliable.

And inconvenient haha I'm all about making things easy. If everything is working correctly on the 4wd system they are great.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Its an either or type thing. Eithet use auto or go out and lock them. Either way there locked right

webb06

Reaction score
If the hub is set on auto then you don't have to get out of the truck to lock them in. Flip the switch and they're in.

If you leave the hubs Locked in all the time then the front axles are always turning as well as the front driveshaft

loboost

Reaction score
If the hub is set on auto then you don't have to get out of the truck to lock them in. Flip the switch and they're in.

If you leave the hubs Locked in all the time then the front axles are always turning as well as the front driveshaft

Doesn't the front shaft & obviously axles always turn regardless of whether or not 'auto' hubs are in the auto position or lock position?

The transfer case will remain open until engaged of course

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
No they dont turn unless the hub gears are engaged.

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Biggest thing Id ask myself in your situation is how often do you need 4wd and what are the conditions like when you need it.

If its just to go offroad and play then the warns are great.

If you have a driveway that offroad challenge magazines WISH they had then the warns become a real pain in the butt.

I switched mine to warn hubs. They work flawless but Im about sick and tired of having to unlock the hubs when I get to the highway and lock them back in when I get back to my driveway every time I go somewhere.

Its gets old realll fast. Im pretty sure I will be going back to auto hubs eventually. Im just to damn old for all this climbing in and out of the truck all the time. Not to mention if its raining.

co04cobra

Reaction score
When or if I think I will need 4x4 often I lock in the hubs and leave them. The auto hubs run the front axle joint all the time anyway when they fail.

Even with auto hubs if you are doing serious 4x4 or off roading you really should lock it in. It is much stronger that way.

webb06

Reaction score
Doesn't the front shaft & obviously axles always turn regardless of whether or not 'auto' hubs are in the auto position or lock position?

The transfer case will remain open until engaged of course

If you own a then yes. They are always turning on a dodge. A properly working ford, no

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Biggest thing Id ask myself in your situation is how often do you need 4wd and what are the conditions like when you need it.

If you have a driveway that offroad challenge magazines WISH they had then the warns become a real pain in the butt.

I switched mine to warn hubs. They work flawless but Im about sick and tired of having to unlock the hubs when I get to the highway and lock them back in when I get back to my driveway every time I go somewhere.

Its gets old realll fast. Im pretty sure I will be going back to auto hubs eventually. Im just to damn old for all this climbing in and out of the truck all the time. Not to mention if its raining.

Ya its just to play in mud pits. I go to mud bogs and play. If my driveway was sketchy i would just leave then locked all tye way to my destination then unlock in town

ToMang07

Reaction score

^WHS. I take mine offroad occasionally, but 4x4 is mainly reserved for driving in icy/snowy roads all winter. And like Crowz said... it gets REAL OLD having to stop, get out, tromp around in the mud/snow/ice, get back in, get out, tromp around again to switch back , and get in again.

I'll keep my auto hubs. It's safer too, if I hit black ice, or a road that isn't plowed yet, I just switch over. That easy. No stopping in the middle of the road, pulling off the road and getting stuck, and getting soaked in the rain/snow.

Atsah

Reaction score
I agree, I love my auto hubs, no getting out screwing around with frozen hubs, out in the snow, ice etc.. I like that if the auto doesn't work for some reason and you need it, you can turn them manually and your in..

loboost

Reaction score
Are there any cons to running auto hubs in the 'lock' position on the highway? With the transfer case disengaged of course

ToMang07

Reaction score
Are there any cons to running auto hubs in the 'lock' position on the highway? With the transfer case disengaged of course

Other than wearing out your 4x4 parts, tires, front end, and wasting fuel?

Not really...

:lookaround:

Latest posts

Members online