4wd school me

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
So I've noticed that when in 4wd I can't get access on my face. It comes through the defrost

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Atsah

Reaction score
So I've noticed that when in 4wd I can't get access on my face. It comes through the defrost

If access on your face means heat out the vent, LOL you have a vaccum problem and or blend door issue..

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Auto txt. Haha. Not access it meant to say air lol

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Not access haha. It meant to say air. After about a min I got air for the face.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Dude....slow the funk down and read your texts/posts before you hit the submit button...I'm getting a twitch. :doh:

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
I did. I didn't hit send. Someone called as I was posting. When I went back it never showed so I just retyped it

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
I had a bad stock lockout on my old truck, spring was shot and it would engage that side on its own occasionally. Luckily it only happened to me at slow speed, fuggin truck had a mind of its own with one hub open and the other locked. Like no control of steering at all, it would lock and violently pull to that side. Correcting the pull would unlock the hub, it was hard as hell to correct like the psp was out. When the hub unlocked and i was turning the wheel hard the truck would obviously violently pull that direction restarting the whole deal. Lol
Bad situation there, going even 40 you would have no chance of keeping the truck on the road.

I used to just keep the auto's locked because the vacuum was shot, deffinatly kept them locked after one side had a mind of its own. Eventually just threw in a set of superwinch hub locks and sold the truck. Haha

I think keeping the hubs locked all winter may have had something to do with that spring going limp. :)

Last edited:

ToMang07

Reaction score
I had a bad stock lockout on my old truck, spring was shot and it would engage that side on its own occasionally. Luckily it only happened to me at slow speed, fuggin truck had a mind of its own with one hub open and the other locked. Like no control of steering at all, it would lock and violently pull to that side. Correcting the pull would unlock the hub, it was hard as hell to correct like the psp was out. When the hub unlocked and i was turning the wheel hard the truck would obviously violently pull that direction restarting the whole deal. Lol
Bad situation there, going even 40 you would have no chance of keeping the truck on the road.

I used to just keep the auto's locked because the vacuum was shot, deffinatly kept them locked after one side had a mind of its own. Eventually just threw in a set of superwinch hub locks and sold the truck. Haha

I think keeping the hubs locked all winter may have had something to do with that spring going limp. :)

What "spring" are you talking about?

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Unless i'm mistaken there was a spring inside the hub lockout, pretty sure there was.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
My bad, found the old hub lock. For some reason i recalled it being spring actuated, idk why. It is just grinding bad turning the spline inside the hub and gets hung up. Back it off a bit and it spins free until you flip it around or shake it then itll grind and lock up again. All while the hub is unlocked.

Idk why i thought it worked via spring to lock, its obviously some sort of bearing thing inside there.

It is defiantly way too hard to lock and unlock, i do remember needing to use pliers to lock the hubs before they took a ****.

Edited cuz i researched it. Lol
Guess the o ring around the manual locking switch must have degraded enough to let dirt in there. I probly should hve sw that coming when i needed to use pliers to lock the hubs.
Dumazz

Last edited:
Reaction score
those that say it is stronger to lock it in manually, I say a great big BULL FECAL MATTER. Take one apart and look at it, it is no more engaged by the manual switch, than by vaccuum. It's either locked, or not locked. It is however much nicer to lock them first before heading into that mud hole, then getting halfway through, and finding out one isn't working.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I guess leaving them locked or not is going to be a matter of opinion. If you put A LOT of miles on with the hubs locked you might see some slight premature wear on tires.

With the hubs locked and T-case out you are essentially doing nothing different then what the rear is doing. The ring gear is turning and you're turning a set of axle joints. The wheel bearings and ball joints are doing the same job either way.

OP your problem of coming through the defrost when trying to engage 4x4 is from losing vacuum while trying to pull the hubs in. It could be at the hubs the inner bearing seal or one of the lines going to the knuckles.

Trqmnstr- What year truck are you referring to?

co04cobra

Reaction score
those that say it is stronger to lock it in manually, I say a great big BULL FECAL MATTER. Take one apart and look at it, it is no more engaged by the manual switch, than by vaccuum. It's either locked, or not locked. It is however much nicer to lock them first before heading into that mud hole, then getting halfway through, and finding out one isn't working.

So losing vacuum half way through that mud hole still leaves the hub locked in the same as having turned the hub to lock and manually engaging that spring..??

Ok...if you say so. :joy:

Reaction score
actually YES, if you ever took the time to read the book on how the system functions, you would know. It is not held in by vacuum, merely engaged. It takes a second vacuum pulse to disengage. Just like clicking a pen

co04cobra

Reaction score
actually YES, if you ever took the time to read the book on how the system functions, you would know. It is not held in by vacuum, merely engaged. It takes a second vacuum pulse to disengage. Just like clicking a pen

Right. Now in theory it sounds great on a new hub and a fully functional vacuum system.

Now in reality, the hub is shot with 200K+ mi, 10+ years of northeast winters wearing on it, and the vacuum lines are dry rotted from being 12yr old rubber.

Ill just lock them in.

Im really not trying to convince anybody that they should switch or stay with lockout hubs.

However, I am saying that, if you want to keep them working put it down on the routine maintenance list.

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Actually for those saying its no different auto vs manually locking them your dead wrong and this isnt interenet hear say as Ive had it happen.

Whats the danger of auto vs manually locking them is partial engagement. If the hub is old it can partially engage in auto mode and makes a nice grinding noise when it happens. This in itself isnt that bad. Whats bad is if it partially engages and strips your hub shaft. THATS bad.

So if you know your going to be in bad situations its always better to manually lock them with the auto hubs. Thats pretty much what talked me into switching mine out to the warns. But my uber lazy old age-ness is what is going to get me to switch back to auto's soon. Im tired of the hub locking dance. But most people dont use their 4wd multiple times each day. So for most people warns would be fine.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score

Other than wearing out your 4x4 parts, tires, front end, and wasting fuel?

Not really...

:lookaround:

I've got over 50k on slugs. Haven't touched a thing on the front end.
You aren't going to wear anything out. Your rear axle shafts are spinning the entire time your truck is moving. When's the last time you heard someone say they wore out an axle shaft? Ring gear isn't seeing any notable wear, as there is nothing resisting the vehicle driving the ring gear.

I dropped 0.4mpg going with slugs, and have a little tire scrub at low speed full lock turning. Other than that, nothing to complain about.
Most domestic trucks up until the 80's and even modern over-sea's trucks run slugs. Only reason domestics moved away from them in the 80's was the decrease in fuel mileage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online