4x4 Hub Question

reilly8282

Reaction score
I have a 2005 250 4x4 with ESOF. Just recently started to get a clicking and then full engagement of the drivers side hub while driving down the road. I pulled the hub, and it looks brand new. The grease is not even black yet, its still blue and the o-ring looks new and pliable. When I go to crank the truck in the morning I can hear the vacuum pump start and after roughly a minute it shuts off. I never hear the pump start again and I have full activation of the blend doors. I honestly think I am fighting something mechanical, not vacuum related which I would rather it be for ease of fixing. When the truck is off I can turn the hub knob and eventually free up both hubs and front driveshaft. I read the PDF of the ESOF and read where it needs vacuum to disengage the hubs as well. My question is can you pull the main vacuum hose of the pump that goes to both hubs and just leave them in automatic therefore leaving the hubs disengaged? Maybe I understood the pdf wrong but from what I gathered if takes vacuum to disengage the hubs. Then vacuum is released no longer to be needed until 4x4 is called for again.

I posted this in another forum, and I know alot of you are there as well but some arent and that is why I posted here as well. Any input is appreciated Sorry if my post is confusing. Thanks Again Reilly.

reilly8282

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply monkey. I narrowed it down to the vacuum solenoid. It was never closing, as soon as i had KEEO the pump would run and hubs would lock. When I turned the key back off they immediately unlocked. I pulled the line going down to the hubs of the solenoid and capped both sides until I get a new solenoid. Thanks for the reply again I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Members online