4x4 hub seals

Lassie

Reaction score
Ok I got the hub off. Now trying to get the shaft out. I am going to oder new seals and O rings.
Can you help me 200007.3?

Once the hub is out, just pull the shaft straight out. The seal will come with it.

As far as that dust seal goes, you can change it, but it will probably be hanging again in a few thousand miles. I'd pop the old one back on. Take a look under most of these trucks and you'll see that dust seal hanging on the shaft.

Zmann

Reaction score
Once the hub is out, just pull the shaft straight out. The seal will come with it.

As far as that dust seal goes, you can change it, but it will probably be hanging again in a few thousand miles. I'd pop the old one back on. Take a look under most of these trucks and you'll see that dust seal hanging on the shaft.

lets get some info out the dust seal has been updated for a few years and doesn't sit on the axle anymore it sits in the axle shaft

the knuckle seal is a bit of a chore to get out and usually is damaged and needs replaced using a special tool

Cajunhunter67

Reaction score
Well thats where Im At. The seal that comes out with the shaft..knuckle seal is bent to hell. I have a new one, but I dont want to ruin it installing it. Looks like its pressed fit on the shaft? Any ideas?

91turbogsx

Reaction score
You need the tool. Or many people make there own.

OTC 6698
94-3CAA28D509A9-17672-00000BC76582F64D_zpscdd466f2.jpg

6.4stroke

I have the same problem accept passenger side. I can hear air escape when I lock it in.

Cajunhunter67

Reaction score
I have the same problem accept passenger side. I can hear air escape when I lock it in.

I couldnt hear air, but I have a hand help vacuum pump. Driver side wouldnt even build vacuum. should finish this tomorrow. I gotta put together a tool to install the knuck seal. Hopefully I havent already damaged it. Uggh!:doh:

Cajunhunter67

Reaction score
Well guys, I replaced the knuckle seal, and the Hub oring. I used assembly lube on all of it. including the red oring on the Auto/manual selector assembly. No leaks and works with the swicth as it should. Appreciate everyones input and help.

Zmann

Reaction score
sorry I missed your question!
on the old trucks u made a tool using 1 1/2 inch pipe and a floor flange and cap 05 up u can make the same using 2" pipe and flange but u need to turn the flange diameter down a little also you don't thread the pipe all the way into the flange or it will hit the axle before it seats the seal

glad u got it fixed

for anyone curious on the tool
here is the old style I haven't seen a write upon our style yet but basically just larger pipe and a different final "OD"
http://www.superdutypsd.com/axle_seal_tool.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online