4x4 problem

THETANK01

Reaction score
Hey guys, finally realized my 4wd quit working when I needed it a few weeks ago. I locked my hubs in ( I have the warn premium hubs) and twisted the switch....nothing. rolled around forward reverse tried High low and nothing happened. I could not hear the t case in gauging and no lights illuminated on the dash. Could someone try and help me out May be give me a starting point? 2001 f250

Thanks

THETANK01

Reaction score
The only fuse I could find(according to the owners manual) was the ESOF fuse. Which was one of the larger ones and it did not appear to be blown.

THETANK01

Reaction score
Ohmed it out. Checked out good. I'm at the switch on the dash right now. I have 6v coming in. Wheb I change the selector no voltage comes out of any other pin. I believe the switch is bad. Had the parts store order 1 for me to try. Hopefully this is the problem!! I want the 4x4 to work so I can sell this thing.

Macon

Reaction score
If not, there are two relays under the hood, drivers side, close to the firewall. They're under the lid closest to the master cylinder. One relay is for engage, the other for disengage. Swap them around, see if that fixes it. If so, replace both.

pungohboy

Reaction score
Have you seen any signs of your windshield leaking? My 4x4 was not working when I bought the truck and turned out to be the GEM due to rain leaking in. If you drop your glove box all the way down you can see the gem on the far right its easy enough to get out and open up the case to see if its fried. This is what the back of mine looked like uploadfromtaptalk1404931660640.jpg

THETANK01

Reaction score
Windshield does leak. But on the driver side. On the other hand I believe my cab lights leak too.... I'll check it out this evening. Gonna swing by the parts house when I get back into town and try the selector switch out.

Macon

Reaction score
I soldered some wire to a 9v and used that to test my motor. Won't lock the t-case, but the motor will move back and forth some, proving it's not burnt.

THETANK01

Reaction score
Can I just pull it off? I have a bunch of car batteries in my garage I can use to test it. In going to check the relays first. It's fuggin storming right now though.

THETANK01

Reaction score
Pulled the motor and and it tested good. Not sure where to go next. I just don't want it to be the GEM

pungohboy

Reaction score
Its easy enough to pull the GEM and open the case to see if it is physically bad. I got my replacement from Sunrise Ford (site sponsor) and did not have to have it programmed like a lot told me I would. If your windshield or marker lights leak it is way too easy for water to get to the GEM. I got a new windshield and had rust spots under it fixed before putting my GEM in. Good luck

Macon

Reaction score
Have you checked the relays yet? After finding no bad fuses, testing the switch as good, testing the motor, and finally breaking into the manual, i found the relays, and sure enough, one was bad. Worked like a champ one day, next day nothing.

THETANK01

Reaction score
My objective for today was to go to my buddies house and put new relaus n there to try. It will be next week sometime before I can pull the gem out. I'm in the process of moving right now so I will keep y'all posted

Latest posts

Members online