5/8'' pickup tube

TARM

Reaction score
If you noticed he said Plus 15 for the 10an pushlock 90 degree fitting. That takes it up to 45 for what you get in a 5/8 kit that are $49.95 Figure fuel and driving time versus shipping is a wash. So we are talking a dif of $5 between going and getting the parts yourself and having it deliver to your door.

I am huge into building and doing anything yourself you can manage but unless you are in a time crunch where you can not wait the 2-3 days to get the pickup I would just get it from a vendor like Marty. Infact out of all the stuff in my custom fuel system the only kit type think I did actually purchase happened to be the pickup kit. Was the most effective solution.

The thing with the short or long sweep 90 is with regards to flow issues is a bit incorrectly labeled and can confuse people. Its sweep 90s versus what is called a "street 90" The street 90 is a squared off type fittings where there is literally a short 90 degree turn like the edge of a square. The others have a nice sweep with some tube making the curve of the turn. Those are the ones you want. You just want to stay away from the "street" 90 fittings. There are things called long sweep 90s as well as short sweep but either works fine.

Here is a few pics

2500-s.jpg
Street 90 Fitting: BAD Do Not Use

6701-s.jpg
Short Sweep 90 Fitting: Good Use

6701-L-s.jpg
Long Sweep 90 Fitting: Good Use

As you can see there is really no dif in the actual distance in the curve of the 90 between either the short or long so really no dif. The issue is with the street which is basically a block that has two holes that have been cross drilled to form a 90 that is sharp and abrupt. Causes lots of turbulence and flow restriction.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
those fittings make more sense now... i didn't figure there was a difference in the long sweep and short sweep because they are the same sweeping 90* bend... but i got it now.... and yes i understand about just buying one from a vendor on here but usually i like to support my local family owned businesses first, if the price is close to the same then i buy local but if i can get it for a few bucks cheaper then i will get one from our vendors.... plus i drive by the local hardware and local parts store twice a day..so its not out of my way...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
If you noticed he said Plus 15 for the 10an pushlock 90 degree fitting. That takes it up to 45 for what you get in a 5/8 kit that are $49.95 Figure fuel and driving time versus shipping is a wash. So we are talking a dif of $5 between going and getting the parts yourself and having it deliver to your door.

I am huge into building and doing anything yourself you can manage but unless you are in a time crunch where you can not wait the 2-3 days to get the pickup I would just get it from a vendor like Marty. Infact out of all the stuff in my custom fuel system the only kit type think I did actually purchase happened to be the pickup kit. Was the most effective solution.

The thing with the short or long sweep 90 is with regards to flow issues is a bit incorrectly labeled and can confuse people. Its sweep 90s versus what is called a "street 90" The street 90 is a squared off type fittings where there is literally a short 90 degree turn like the edge of a square. The others have a nice sweep with some tube making the curve of the turn. Those are the ones you want. You just want to stay away from the "street" 90 fittings. There are things called long sweep 90s as well as short sweep but either works fine.

Here is a few pics

2500-s.jpg
Street 90 Fitting: BAD Do Not Use

6701-s.jpg
Short Sweep 90 Fitting: Good Use

6701-L-s.jpg
Long Sweep 90 Fitting: Good Use

As you can see there is really no dif in the actual distance in the curve of the 90 between either the short or long so really no dif. The issue is with the street which is basically a block that has two holes that have been cross drilled to form a 90 that is sharp and abrupt. Causes lots of turbulence and flow restriction.

That was 30 for all the parts (hard parts) plus $15 for 5 feet of 5/8" pushlock HOSE...

So yes I am in it for $45 bucks.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Pictures...

2057697840100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

2310364650100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

Didnt pull out the push lock fuel line. What's pictured was less then $40... $37 or so.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
So u put a ferrule on the tube then flared it? Will regular flaring clamp tool work for that? Is that ferrule SS and is it hard to find?

Those are tube nuts and sleeves, not a Ferrule.
A Ferrule will collapse a line to make the seal like for a copper or plastic boost line. This way allows for a nice robust nut to push the sleeve, and the sleeve pushes against the flared part of the mating fitting. Nut turns, sleeve does not. Like using a washer against a nut. Summit sells the nuts and sleeves to be used with alum fuel fittings etc.

They can be aluminum or steel. With alum pick-up tubes, I use alum nuts and sleeves. For high pressure applicatations I use steel lines, nuts and sleeves.

TARM

Reaction score
Yes

First time I saw it before I had one I thought it was a flare. Did not look at it close enough I guess. I forget what is the actual inner diameter of the tube?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i just went ahead and got one from denis at strictly... i asked the local stores if they had or could get the stuff i needed and it would have been about 75 bucks.. called denis and he shipped me one that very moment and cost $61 to my door... installed it today...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
forgot to add, this is what i found... got about a 1/4 cup of shavings out of the tank and pick up tube... aluminum shavings mostly. couple copper shavings and some steel... cant imagine why i was having fuel psi drop problems...

Attachments

• 1338223763034.jpg
    1338223763034.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 1338227931276.jpg
    1338227931276.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 82

TARM

Reaction score
Now the question is where did all that copper and alum come from? I guess its possible from the service station pumps but I get tend to wonder anytime I find metal shaving in any fluid fuel, oil, etc.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Another place could be from some of the transfer tanks at work.... every now and then i get a forman that puts some fuel in my truck out of his forman truck. Not to many people care how dirty or what gets dropped into the drag tanks on work vehicles... also when i bought my truck it had a aluminum homade 80gal tank in back... i could see that not being cleaned properly. But i took that out just a few months after i brought it home 4yrs ago.

TARM

Reaction score
I agree with that there is nothing of any significance getting to anything that matters as long as you are using filters in a good staged micron performance size. Anything visible would be caught by a decent first stage filter water fuel sep then anything down to 2-3mic caught but the final if you are using the top rated filters. That equals long life for barrels, plungers, nozzles etc...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i have a 5/8ths pickup to a carter 4600 lift pump to a 40gph 7mic water/fuel separator to a brand new walbro to the stock fuel bowl and filter... also its dropping pressure when on the throttle... up to 15psi at times... well was 15psi at times, but after the new pick up, it drops around 10psi now...

prolly gonna start another thread on this..

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
that is a typo on filter its a 40 gpMINUTE NOT HOUR LOL Already got caught by that typo LOL

Latest posts

Members online