5r110 broke again

TBagAMouseTrap

Reaction score
My truck had a bad flare between 3-5 shifts. Pulled trans apart found direct drive clutches smoked and hot spots on overdrive. Installed suncoast and transgo kits with new pistons and seals from ford. After about 300 miles on the new trans the flare would randomly come and go. Yesterday it slipped real bad followed by a bang. Now I have only low gears (1&2). I think I broke the sungear. But does anyone have suggestions on the flare/slipping concern? I thought the alto clutches would prevent that. I set them on the tighter side of the spec. Also does anyone know if alto will sell individual clutch packs?

TBagAMouseTrap

Reaction score
I was able to pull the trans out this morning and it looks like only the direct clutches are smoked again. All the hard parts were still good. Anyone have any recommendations? Maybe a modified direct solenoid?

range91

Reaction score
Either replace the solenoid or get a modified. You may also want to check line pressure to see if it is in spec. Did you check for pressure regulator valve bore wear bad bore can cause very erratic pressure. How did direct air check.

TBagAMouseTrap

Reaction score
That's for the reply. Suncoast covered the cost of the new frictions and steels even after I said it wasn't their fault which was pretty awesome. Anyways put it back together tonight with a new ford solenoid. Air checked good, but didn't have a line pressure gauge with me. Hopefully I can get it checked by the end of the week.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.