5r110 nightmare.....

willholl79

Reaction score
2005 f350 6.0 4x4 cclb xl: I bought the truck in 09 with 120k miles, and by looking at oasis reports it had the original 5r110. Fast forward to 270k miles, tuned with SCT customs tunes from Eric at ********** since 130k, it's time for a rebuild. The failure was catastrophic, think boosted launch, one to many beers, nothing illegal on private property, and she gone......no forward, reverse, nothing. The trucks first ride on a rollback takes it to the best trans guy in town, great reputation, stands behind his work, has rebuilt 4r100s for me in the past with no issues. I got the truck back after the rebuild and it shifts great, but starts leaking ATF a week later. Take it back to trans guy and he says there was a pinhole in the torque converter, replace torque converter and calls me to pick it up. 75 miles later, she gone again, no forward, reverse, nothing. Towed it back to trans guy on his dime and he says it's the torque converter again. He installs another torque converter and it sh!ts itself again while he test drives it.......towed back to his shop, on his dime again, needs a complete rebuild again according to him, he does the work on his dime, naturally. I pick the truck up a few days later and it shifts like crap. I disconnect batts and after "relearn" it shifts a little better, and a week later it shifts almost normal. Just when I think all is well, torque converter starts making noise and before long starts puking ATF. I take the truck back to trans guys and he says pin hole in TC again, he replaces TC again and I pick the truck up. It shifts better than it has during this whole ordeal, but 200 miles later the TC starts making noise again and gets louder by the day. I assume it will be leaking again any day now.

All of the above takes place over 5 months, no heavy towing or hot rodding....

What gives??? Trash in the cooler/lines? The trans guy has been great to deal with as far as warranty but damn I need this truck on the road......

Thoughts?....

willholl79

Reaction score
For those keeping score it is on TC #5 and 2 rebuilds in 4 months and +\- 4000 miles.......and by the way it sounds, won't make it through the week.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Whenever a trans chits iself, we put in new coolers and flush the lines. I dunno who hes using for converters, but it sounds like they had a bad run of them. If hes as reputable as you say, i doubt hes using a junk company for converters, but who knows. At least he is stand up enough to cover all this nightmare, ive heard way too many horror stories about other stuff happening, so at least youve got that going.

Good luck man...

willholl79

Reaction score
Whenever a trans chits iself, we put in new coolers and flush the lines. I dunno who hes using for converters, but it sounds like they had a bad run of them. If hes as reputable as you say, i doubt hes using a junk company for converters, but who knows. At least he is stand up enough to cover all this nightmare, ive heard way too many horror stories about other stuff happening, so at least youve got that going.

Good luck man...

Thanks for the reply. This trans guy is 2nd generation and has a great reputation and like I said stands behind his work. He did mention on TC number 2 or 3 that he switched suppliers hoping that it was a bad run.....

kwelch08

Reaction score
See if he replaced the cooler and flushed the lines. Worth a try you know. Atleast he's standing behind his work. I have a truck that's puking coolant after 1k miles of studs and the place that did the work won't accept the fact that it is head gasket failure and fix their work.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online