5R110 p1744 Torque converter Issue

Injected79

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals, I have a transmission issue i need some help with . Long story short i bought a truck not running, got the truck up and going and having issues with this p1744 code, Torque converter lock up.

Driving issues was the converter would not stay locked in or not lock in at all. I Originally started off by changing filters and lock up solenoid in the transmission, After this i noticed in the morning on way to work ( only 6 miles) it would lock up and stay locked with out any issues. But when i left work and drove for any distance on test drives it would not lock up and if it did lock up it would kick out, no chance of staying locked up on even the slightest hill.

After talking to a handful of people about the issue we were in belief it was either the converter was toast or a friction element. with that being said i installed a complete reman transmission and converter.

first two test drives checked ok (was about 20 minute drives or so) then thought id go on one more test drive before putting the truck up sale. 40 minute drive checked out perfect, drove through a trailer dealer to turn around, pulled back on the road, first mile or less on the first slight hill it pulled and surprise flashing tow haul light and a p1744 code again. the whole time i had my AE connected to the truck, and i could clear the code while driving and as soon as it cleared it would go directly into lock up for a few miles then bam came right back.

At this point i am a firm believer it has to be an electrical issue.,

Prior to installing the transmission i had changed the brake pressure sensor wishful thinking i guess.

truck is a 2004 4x4 f250 6.0

I was hoping somebody on here might have a wiring schematic, or what pins i could test from transmission plug to ecm to check wiring for damages that could cause this issue.

Thanks ahead of time

sootie

Reaction score
was the cooler changed? could be friction material screwing up the tcc solenoid maybe?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
and other cooler flushed
And that might just be the problem.

Ford came out with a transmission cooler flush machine a few years ago. It is the only method that they approve to flush a cooler. It doesn't just back flush, it changes directions back and forth rapidly to break things loose. I'm skeptical. I don't think there is any effective way to flush a transmission cooler.

built6.0

Reaction score
what brand is it [color will help a little]is it a dayco convertor or stock,i shop any codes
btw im a manager at a trans

Injected79

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and by passed to the transmission cooler that is mounted out front of the radiator, still had the same issues.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I'd expect that. Bypassing the cooler AFTER you've run it for a while won't clean out the junk that is now in the trans that probably came from the cooler.

Bsclaeys

Reaction score
Has this been resolved yet?

I'm having issues with my 5r110 as well with the torque converter not locking up. The transmission has been completely gone through a few times and even had a good transmission placed into the truck and the same issues arise out of the donor tranny... Obviously it's not my transmission but rather something with my truck. Any input would be appreciated.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my 5r110 as well with the torque converter not locking up. The transmission has been completely gone through a few times and even had a good transmission placed into the truck and the same issues arise out of the donor tranny... Obviously it's not my transmission but rather something with my truck. Any input would be appreciated.
The first thing to do is to check for codes. The places that read codes free CANNOT read these codes. You need either a good independent shop or a Ford dealer.

The next step is often connecting a high end scan tool that can look at live data and see where the PCM is getting it's bad information.

Powerstroke978

Reaction score
Anyone find out a fix for this issue? After 3 different trans, a new trans wiring harness and different PCM I'm at a loss. Have p1744 and p0741 consistent with all parts swapped out

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.