5R110 question

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
By obd2 gauge? @175 the dummy gauge is set still. It seemed to be accurate but I don't know if obd2 is accurate either. But for the record I have plans on installing a deeper pan. Since my tranny was rebuilt it runs cooler anyway. I don't see the extra fluid necessary..which is why I have no plans on doing it.

GS247

Reaction score
I by no means know how the internals work on these transmissions, but I have a question. There is obviously a pump in the transmission. Is that pump the same from the 2003-2007 vs. the 2008+?
What I’m questioning is, will there be an extra load on the early model pumps adding a filter to it (now two points of restriction)? I know there is a screen on the early model’s but the filter has to restrict the flow more than a screen would, so is that pump going to work harder?:shrug:

Hope that made sense.

chappy

Reaction score
I wondered the same thing as well but never found an answer with searching. I left the toilet paper filter out of the line when I installed the 08+ pan and filter. It is a motorcraft filter so i know its one of the best and didn't really see the need for an extra filter to filter out fluid part of the time when I have a good one filter all the time now. The stocker only filtered some of the fluid and only some of the time so why keep it and put an extra load is what I figured. If the tranny did fine with it before then it should do fine still with only the good 08 pan filter in there working all the time.

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
The "toilet paper" filter is a bypass filter... when the oil is being routed to the cooler about 10% of it goes thru the bypass filter.
I don't see why anyone would want to leave it out?
Unless you also plug the hole in the bypass you still have 10% going thru the empty filter canister.
It can only help to extend the life of the trans to filter out the small micron particles that the pan filter doesn't catch.
Your only savings is the cost of the filter.
Why would anyone go to the trouble and expense to add a coolant and oil bypass filter on the engine and then cheap out and remove the one the Ford put on the trans??

chappy

Reaction score
The "toilet paper" filter is a bypass filter... when the oil is being routed to the cooler about 10% of it goes thru the bypass filter.
Unless you also plug the hole in the bypass you still have 10% going thru the empty filter canister.
It can only help to extend the life of the trans to filter out the small micron particles that the pan filter doesn't catch.
Why would anyone go to the trouble and expense to add a coolant and oil bypass filter on the engine and then cheap out and remove the one the Ford put on the trans??

Yeh but at the end its just a bypass and its optional in my eyes. wouldn't hurt to leave it in but won't hurt leaving it out . FYI my truck didn't come with a coolant filtration setup and the engine didn't come with a bypass. So why would i worry if the trans has one?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
If you installed the new pan and filter you don't need the bypass filter. The new internal filter is a better filter than the bypass.

If you don't have the new internal filter you need the bypass filter. The solenoids (all seven of them) are VERY sensitive to contamination. Without a good filter the solenoids are going to stick.

chappy

Reaction score

Well I see what you're saying and yes if you want to spend extra money thats not needed then sure keep buying new bypass filters. As said its not needed and the 08 up pan filter will catch more then the bypass filter ever thought of so its insignificant now but its your money. If it makes someone feel better to spend more money on filters then go right ahead, I don't think you will hurt anything . I do not believe the bypass filter is a smaller micron rating then the 08 in pan filter so its not catching anything extra which is what you seem to think it does. On a bypass system like an engine oil one its a smaller micron rating then the full flow filter on the engine so it filters out more particles. I do not believe the bypass filter on the trannys is a smaller then the in pan 08 filter so it makes no added filtration so you can't really compare the 2.

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
If you installed the new pan and filter you don't need the bypass filter. The new internal filter is a better filter than the bypass.

If you don't have the new internal filter you need the bypass filter. The solenoids (all seven of them) are VERY sensitive to contamination. Without a good filter the solenoids are going to stick.

Then how can it hurt anything to keep the bypass filter?
I think it's foolish to not use it.

chappy

Reaction score
I think its foolish to spend money on something when its not needed. Ford did away with it for a reason. I see you like spending money on filter from your sig but don't knock people for not buying something thats not needed. Its not foolish to not use it but have you done research to see if it puts added stress on the pump or lowers the flow drastically? Go change the bypass filter on your blinker fluid.

GS247

Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing as Chappy. Two filters have to cause some sort of a restriction or higher pump pressure (in theory), and if that is the case, the bypass filter would not be needed due to the inferior 08+ pan filter.

Its to bad i have a Mag-hytec pan and the 08+ filter wont fit.

Anyone know anyone at a tranny shop that has played around with this that might be able to give some insight?

Vengeance

Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing as Chappy. Two filters have to cause some sort of a restriction or higher pump pressure (in theory), and if that is the case, the bypass filter would not be needed due to the inferior 08+ pan filter.

Anyone know anyone at a tranny shop that has played around with this that might be able to give some insight?

You do know what Mark K does (or did) for a living, don't you?

chappy

Reaction score

That is the only "bad" possible thing I can think of besides spending extra money on a not needed filter. In theory it is possible maybe mark has some info on it since he was a ford tranny engineer. Why don't you sell the mag and just get a 08 up pam/filter for less money. I believe they also have a 08 up mag pan now if you're dead set on one.

Last edited:

GS247

Reaction score
You do know what Mark K does (or did) for a living, don't you?

No I didn't. As you can see I am a new around here, But thank you:thumbup:
Hopefully I will get to know most of you here.

I guess it helps if I read his sig.:lame2: please disregard my last post.

Last edited:

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The filter up front is a bypass filter. 10% of the flow through the cooler lines goes through this filter. When the transmission is colder than 165°F only 10% of the warmed up flow goes to the cooler lines, so hardly anything goes through this filter.

If this filter were to get clogged and wouldn't allow any flow there would be a very minor increase in pressure. Not enough to worry about.

I didn't say DON'T use it with the new internal filter. I said it isn't needed. It won't help, but it won't help, either. Ford deleted it when they changed the internal filter to save money.

Latest posts

Members online