5r110 solenoid help

jstrong43

Reaction score
need some help with the 5r110 solenoids.. which gears are connected together? and any idea why my truck cant keep a torque converter solenoid in it?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Each solenoid controls one clutch. The forward solenoid controls the forward clutch. The intermediate solenoid controls the intermediate clutch. The direct solenoid controls the direct clutch. The overdrive solenoid controls the overdrive clutch. The EPC solenoid controls overall pressure. The torque converter clutch solenoid controls the torque converter clutch. I'm forgetting one.....

strokin6L

Reaction score
Mark, what gears/shifts are controlled with what solenoid? I think we all know that the direct solenoid is the 3-5 shift, but what solenoid's controll what shifts?

jstrong43

Reaction score
i think my torque converter solenoid may be sticking... Any info on why they do that? and what he said above is what i was wanting to know

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
For the 1-2 shift the overdrive solenoid turns on the overdrive clutch. For the 2-3 shift the intermediate solenoid applies the intermediate clutch while the overdrive solenoid releases the overdrive clutch. For the 3-5 shift the intermediate solenoid releases the intermediate clutch as the direct clutch is applied by the direct solenoid. For the 5-6 shift the overdrive solenoid applies the overdrive clutch.

i think my torque converter solenoid may be sticking... Any info on why they do that? and what he said above is what i was wanting to know
Usually it is because a tiny bit of debris got into the solenoid making the spool valve stick in the bore.

The solenoid I forgot earlier is the reverse solenoid. It controls the reverse clutch.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Thanks Mike! Isn't there a few solenoids in the body that are the same solenoid/part number?

Also would you by any chance have a diagram of the solenoid body which shows what solenoid is which? I know the middle one in the row of 3 is the direct drive solenoid.

jstrong43

Reaction score
really have no idea whats going on with mine... torque coverter solenoid went out so i replaced it, it was fine for a few days then it started acting like it was going bad again.. sometimes it it sometimes ot doesnt. It really does it in reverse when its cold. it will literally stall out and die...

jstrong43

Reaction score
just seems weird how it would start all at once... while i was waiting for my coverter solenoid i put the 2nd gear/od solenoid in where the coverter solenoid, seeing as its the.same part number to see if it fixxed the problem, and it fixxed it, for a few days.. then just started acting.up again

Latest posts

Members online