5r110 trans install problems help

adamquintonMDP

Reaction score
i have put in and taken out 10+ trans and never had a real issue but this has be stumped.

when i get the trans mated to the engine i am unable to rotate the flywheel to put the nuts on the TC. tonight it the THIRD time i have put in and taken out the trans on my truck. and am still unable to turn the flywheel i have as far as to put the starter back in and do it that way but not even that worked. i am lost

I was told that the TC was not fully seated so i did everything i could to make sure that it was is there anything else i should make sure i do before i try this a fourth time.:cursing::cursing::cursing:

O forgot to mention that im working on a 2006 6.0 and the trans came off the same year truck that was 4x4 and going on my 2x4. If that make a difference.

Karls03

Reaction score
The last time that I had a problem like that it turned out that I had forgotten to take the pilot busing out of my crate motor's crank. Therefore, I would measure the OD of the converter snout and the ID of the crank center. It sounds like there is an interference issue there.

adamquintonMDP

Reaction score
would that measurement have changed bc im changing the transmission from an 06 build date of march to an 06 build date of june

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The trans has to come out again.

Pull the torque converter out of the trans. Is the end damaged? If the converter wasn't fully seated in the pump and you bolted the trans to the engine you most likely mushroomed the end of the converter. I've seen someone carefully clean up the damaged end and reuse the converter. Usually it takes a new converter. You also need to open the pump and see if the gears were damaged. I have seen this happen and shatter the pump gears.

The best way to make sure the converter is all the way seated is to turn the trans on end with the bellhousing facing up. Then spin the converter until it drops four times. Once it is all the way down it will be below the surface of the bellhousing. If it isn't below the surface keep spinning. This is how the converter is seated in a transmission factory.

Karls03

Reaction score
:whs:

I forgot all about having the converter completely seated. The measurements were to confirm that the snout is the right OD and/or not mushroomed as previously suggested.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I've never seen the snout of the converter (the end that goes into the crankshaft) mushroomed. I have seen many where the end that goes into the pump mushroomed.

adamquintonMDP

Reaction score
well i didnt want to believe it but everyone was right the torque converter was installed wrong and to screwed up the pump. but the same guy that i got my engine from had the trans torque converter and flywheel all for 600 so i lucked out there

Mdub707

Reaction score
Is that with the transmission, or just the flywheel and torque converter? If you got the entire trans for that cost, that's awesome.

Latest posts

Members online