5th wheel Q's

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Are you going to leave the 5er stock? There's a guy that flipped the axles on his rig to make it fit his truck.

I'd say stay under 6" lift on 35" tires for your best chances of keeping it simple.

Pstrke96

Reaction score
Ideally you want your trailer to. Be level. To much lift will put extra strain on the rear trailer axle and tires. There is about 6" of adjustability in most 5er pin boxes and hitches. My stock height 02 with air bags inflated allows both truck and trailer to ride nice and level, with both hitch and pin box set to the middle of all adjustments. Another thing to consider is the space or gap between your gooseneck and bed rails , to little space while driving on uneven terrain could cause a bind and potential damage to truck/trailer. I have seen people lift there 5er but imo that's a bad option due to increasing the center of gravity, making the trailer more top heavy therefore potentially more succeptable to sway and or even as drastic as roll over. This is just my two cents

bluedge8

Reaction score
I have a stock '96 F350 and just bought a 2004 Jayco- I have 285's on the truck and thought that new of a trailer would be ok but it was raked pretty bad. If I had to tow mine much it would have to have a lift kit installed, and again my truck is stock height.

Pstrke96

Reaction score
Did you try adjusting hitch pin box at all? My obs Dually runs 235's and both of mine are pretty level. Did you go with the gooseneck adapter or the 5er hitch?

bluedge8

Reaction score
I did not adjust the pin box but if I were to move it all, some of the bolts would be up in the tin so I was thinking that it isn't able to go any farther up? Also I did use a gooseneck adapter that is adjustable and had it adjusted longer by less than 1/2". from what I could tell, the is no longer than the 5vr hitch would be.

Latest posts

Members online