6.0.4 revisited

Would you put 6.4 compounds on your truck?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Sleep on it.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Not going to waste my brain cells on this one.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The juice isn't worth the sqeeze!

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • My truck already has 6.4 compounds!

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
So I picked up the Eastwood TIG 200 & Plasma cutter combo deal, turns out the welder unit is bad and they will be picking up my unit and sending a new one next week. Obviously not on schedule, but at least not off track. Was attempting to practice some welds with the TIG machine, discovering the defective unit. Soon enough I'll have some progress photos's and info.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Alright, wheels are in motion. I was planning on getting moving with the project this week anyhow, but now it seems I have a bad injector. I will probably throw in a whole set of injectors as we do the studs, gaskets etc. The welder came back and I've been practicing my TIG welds on my new smoker grill.

I won't have 6.0.4 updates for a good week and a half until the heads are back on, but keep your ears tuned!

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
just got these back from the machine shop, for the turbo oil drainage.
25113174-6292-45AE-90EB-C06876BE23E9.jpg

Truck is just sitting and waiting to get rolled into the shop for gaskets, studs and injectors, then its time to start the build.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Long overdue...... parking the truck tomorrow and going under the knife starting this weekend. I will be back soon with updates.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I have started to tear the truck down, and have run into some easily resolvable issues, except for one. I am trying to figure out how I will delete my EGR assuming that I will not be using the 6.0 Intake manifold.

Could I simply cap off both ends of the coolant run? If I completely stop the flow through the intake manifold will I be starving anything else for coolant?

MorganY

Reaction score
I have started to tear the truck down, and have run into some easily resolvable issues, except for one. I am trying to figure out how I will delete my EGR assuming that I will not be using the 6.0 Intake manifold.

Could I simply cap off both ends of the coolant run? If I completely stop the flow through the intake manifold will I be starving anything else for coolant?

Contact Powerstroked162 for a coolant re route line. Will route coolant from oil cooler to degas bottle.

Put a freeze plug in the port off of the front cover. Or you can tap the port and put a threaded plug in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

2wd-fire

Reaction score
Contact Powerstroked162 for a coolant re route line. Will route coolant from oil cooler to degas bottle.

Put a freeze plug in the port off of the front cover. Or you can tap the port and put a threaded plug in.

Could also hook in to heater hose on pass side

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
The coolant re-route will work, where ever I return it to. Thanks for the suggestion Morgan. I have all the dis-assembly done minus the down pipe. I currently have the passenger side 6.4 exhaust manifold and up pipe in place, so far everything is mounting and clearing fine. The 6.4 intake manifold needs some trimming of accessory mounting points, other than that, it lines up perfectly.

It seems like the early '03 6.0's have a different oil feed setup than the later ones. My feed line threads into the top of the oil cooler housing, looks like a strait cut 0-ring fitting. Anyone happen to know the thread size and pitch of this?

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
The coolant re-route will work, where ever I return it to. Thanks for the suggestion Morgan. I have all the dis-assembly done minus the down pipe. I currently have the passenger side 6.4 exhaust manifold and up pipe in place, so far everything is mounting and clearing fine. The 6.4 intake manifold needs some trimming of accessory mounting points, other than that, it lines up perfectly.

It seems like the early '03 6.0's have a different oil feed setup than the later ones. My feed line threads into the top of the oil cooler housing, looks like a strait cut 0-ring fitting. Anyone happen to know the thread size and pitch of this?

Its actually a snap to connect fitting. You should see a black plastic ring around it just below the line. When that ring is depressed it will release it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Glad to see this project still moving forward. Cant wait to see some results!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Solved the oil supply line, parts for that are ready to go in. Both 6.4 exhaust manifolds and up pipes are mounted. The 6.4 intake manifold is trimmed and temporarily in place for dry fit. I have started fab'ing a pedestal and should have that ready to go tomorrow. I hope to have the FICM relocated and everything dry fitted by the end of this weekend. Then I will disassemble, and final install with gaskets. Next week will be fabricating the CAC piping.

Moving along nicely now, almost one year since I began this journey.

MorganY

Reaction score
Solved the oil supply line, parts for that are ready to go in. Both 6.4 exhaust manifolds and up pipes are mounted. The 6.4 intake manifold is trimmed and temporarily in place for dry fit. I have started fab'ing a pedestal and should have that ready to go tomorrow. I hope to have the FICM relocated and everything dry fitted by the end of this weekend. Then I will disassemble, and final install with gaskets. Next week will be fabricating the CAC piping.

Moving along nicely now, almost one year since I began this journey.

Good feeling isnt it? Post up some pics! Best of luck with the ficm...it sucks lol 20 hours of wiring

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Let me know if you need this mockup motor bud

Hellen Keller sent this?

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Progress Report 7/27/13

Let me know if you need this mockup motor bud

Greg, i have a mock up motor. its in my truck! :cursing:

Here are just a few pics for now. I've got a lot more work to go, but I feel the hardest part is over now. The pedestal is made and I can stop chitting my pants over whether things will fit or not, which there were several very close calls/minor modifications necessary. I am aiming to have the truck running next weekend.

FF5402F5-D519-40F6-895F-00ED19AFD859.jpg

ACAAF292-50D3-447F-A9E9-0127824F773F.jpg

C6BC09EF-2961-4FB7-B1D2-994E65305D02.jpg

AEEDB768-7470-4BF3-A3C4-7B2B69D11508.jpg

I will just say this, my fabrication skills may not be of the same quality as some of you fella's on this site but, I will get 'er done. Enjoy, the pics for now and give me some feed back!!

MorganY

Reaction score
Greg, i have a mock up motor. its in my truck! :cursing:

Here are just a few pics for now. I've got a lot more work to go, but I feel the hardest part is over now. The pedestal is made and I can stop chitting my pants over whether things will fit or not, which there were several very close calls/minor modifications necessary. I am aiming to have the truck running next weekend.

FF5402F5-D519-40F6-895F-00ED19AFD859.jpg

ACAAF292-50D3-447F-A9E9-0127824F773F.jpg

C6BC09EF-2961-4FB7-B1D2-994E65305D02.jpg

AEEDB768-7470-4BF3-A3C4-7B2B69D11508.jpg

I will just say this, my fabrication skills may not be of the same quality as some of you fella's on this site but, I will get 'er done. Enjoy, the pics for now and give me some feed back!!

:joy: :joy: Who cares about that stuff. If someone says something. Have them get their hands dirty, and attempt this. Been a long time coming for you

Latest posts

Members online