6.0 block differences

08strokin

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking to pick up a spare short block for my 2006 so I can start my build, is there any differences in the years that I should look out for?

C12h23

Reaction score
Commonization changes beginning in Jan 2006:

"Subject: 2006 6.0L Diesel Power Stroke Cylinder Head Commonization
Effective Date: Ford Production Assembly Plants - January 11, 2006
Kentucky Truck Plant (Super Duty) & Lorraine Assembly Plant (Econoline)

Description:
Changes are being made to the 6.0L diesel cylinder head, head gasket, crankcase block, rocker arm carrier and injector hold down clamps for the 2006 Super Duty and Econoline Program. The action is taking place to facilitate/communize the International manufacturing process for the
upcoming 6.4L program. The 2006 6.0L used in Ford vehicles after January 11, 2006 are being referred to as ""Commonization Engines"".

Part number details are provided on a separate excel spreadsheet. "
"Figure 1 - New cylinder head
1. Carrier boss bolt holes M10 x 1.5
2. Injector clamp bolt holes (relocated)

The new cylinder heads have several casting changes including a slight injector clamp bolt hole relocation (2, figure 1) and the carrier boss bolt hole size and location changes (1, figure 1). New cylinder heads also use 32 mm cup plugs replacing the old 28 mm cup plugs. The cylinder head gasket is also new to accommodate the new 20mm cylinder head location dowels. Pre commonization head use 18mm dowels.
Note: At this time the new cylinder head assembly is not interchangeable with the previously level head. "

"Figure 2 – Previous Level Cylinder Head
1. Carrier boss bolt holes M8 x 1.5
2. Injector clamp bolt holes (original locations)
Note: The previous level cylinder head assembly is not interchangeable with the new head."

"Figure 3 - New Block Assembly
The new crankcase (block) uses two 20mm cylinder head locating dowels per head. The old crankcase (block) uses two 18mm cylinder head locating dowels per head.
Note: The new and old block assembly is not interchangeable. This affects replacement of all 6009 short blocks and the 6010 bare blocks. "

"Rocker Arm Carrier:
Figure 4 - New Rocker Arm Carrier
Casting changes to the rocker carrier provide increased clearance for new injector hold down clamps (figure 6). The new carrier also uses only 2 bolts and locating dowels to attach the carrier to the head. The new rocker carrier is serviced in a Rocker Arm Carrier Kit which includes the rocker carrier cover, gasket and necessary dowels.
Note: The new and old rocker arm carrier kits are not interchangeable. "

"Figure 5 – Previous Level Rocker Arm Carrier Kit
The old rocker arm carrier uses 4 attaching bolts to hold the carrier to the old cylinder head (figure 2)

Not my words, hope this is helpful none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online