6.0 Doesn't Have a Cranking Signal

imelmo

Reaction score
Finally got my truck back together after pulling the cab to replace some rocker arms and address a couple other things. Everything is working correctly other than it not turning over with the key.

I got the trans "sorted out". It was an idiot error by myself, lol.

When I turn the key to the on position everything is normal- fuel pump comes on, glow plugs cycle, ficm makes its noises. Then turn the key to start and nothing happens.

Truck is a 2003 6.0 with a 4R100 swap so as far as the pcm knows it has a manual trans. Starter has power, the starter side of the start signal wire shows a good connection to the starter with my meter, but there is no power coming from the firewall side of the start signal wire when turning the key forward to crank.

If I turn the key to the on position and hook a start button to the start signal wire it fires up just fine and everything works. Something isn't letting it send the signal to start when turning the key.

What are some things that wouldn't allow the start signal to be sent when turning the key forward? Is there a particular fuse that it could be?

As stated, everything else works. It just doesn't turn over with turning the key.

imelmo

Reaction score
I talked to Chris and Chandler at TSD and they said it should not prevent the truck from starting with my setup. I unplugged the nss as well and still had the same results. As far as my pcm knows it has a manual trans. And looking at the PCS on my laptop it shows it in all the correct positions being called for.

imelmo

Reaction score
Starter relay is something easy to check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is clicking and I can feel it when turning the key.

I have a neutral safety switch on the way. Should be here around lunch. If that's not it I guess I'll be loading it on a trailer to bring to TSD again. That's what I get for fixing it myself, lol. :doh:

imelmo

Reaction score
Changed out the neutral safety switch and no difference. Starter relay is clicking just fine. Tried unplugging the fan clutch also as I heard that can make it not start and I did forget to unplug it when I lifted the cab and pulled the wire, but no change there either. Removing my alarm now but I'm 90% sure it's not hooked to the ignition or anything. It was just a cheapy one with door and window sensors.

Don't really know what else to look at.

imelmo

Reaction score
Also, the green ignition wire under the steering console had a splice in it so I took it apart. If I attach a wire to the key side of the green wire and run it to the start signal wire on the passenger fender it starts with the key. So something is blocking the start signal somewhere.

swinky

Reaction score
Starts just fine like that.

Yup. Went over everything we could thing. I guess I'm heading to San Antonio soon.

My 03 used to do the same exact thing and a new starter fixed it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

BOSS450

Reaction score
Just bc it's got a manual file, when you crank it should still be looking for a clutch signal. So ask them how they went around that.

Reaction score
The fact that the starter solenoid is clicking means the truck is getting the signal to start but not engaging the starter usually means its time for a new starter, your battery does not have the amperage to turn the engine over, or your have a battery cable issue. I wouldnt over think this one yet, I check/test the above systems.

imelmo

Reaction score
The relay was clicking, not the solenoid.

TSD got it figured out. There was a white ground wire for the PCS that had gotten cut. It was on the inside fender well covered by the air intake/battery box and the pcm connectors

Strokersace

Reaction score
The relay was clicking, not the solenoid.

TSD got it figured out. There was a white ground wire for the PCS that had gotten cut. It was on the inside fender well covered by the air intake/battery box and the pcm connectors

So all is good now?

Dang grounds!

imelmo

Reaction score
Yup. Just pulled it in the shop. Gotta level all the fluids, bleed the brakes, put the stock bumper on, and mount the license plate.

Latest posts

Members online