6.0 Extended start after STC, Standpipe, dummy plugs

johnp115

Reaction score
My truck wasn't starting when warm a couple weeks ago so i got the Stc fitting kit, standpipes and dummy plugs...
Me and my friend did the STC fitting last night. Test drove the truck but my viand clamp broke so i didn't go far. Got back in the barn and it fired back up pretty normal.

We did the standpipes and dummy plugs today and i couldn't test drive it cause my intercooler clamp broke (guess i have bad clamp luck) but i let my truck idle and revved it a little bit to get it warm. Now when its warm it takes around 10 seconds to fire up. Is there something that we may have messed up?

johnp115

Reaction score
When you turn the truck off if you immediately try starting again it will fire back up but if you wait 2 seconds it will lose oil pressure and take a while to crank.
Is this something that just needs to be driven out? lol

78f100

Reaction score
It should get better as you drive it, takes a while to work the air out. Everyone I do is always like that the first few starts.

johnp115

Reaction score
It should get better as you drive it, takes a while to work the air out. Everyone I do is always like that the first few starts.

Okay i know i read up on it and thats what they were saying i just didn't know the extent to which it takes for the air to get worked out. I'm going to pray on that being the problem. It just confused me a little because after the stc fitting it wasn't taking that long and now it is

78f100

Reaction score
Its because you drained the oil rails when you did the stand pipes and dummy plugs. The stc fitting didn't really loose much oil out of the system.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Check the Oil pressure regulator. When you remove it it SHOULD NOT be under spring tension.

picsay-1335328098.jpg

Normally oil should have started gushing into the filter housing within a second or 2 of cranking.

I would start with pulling the low oil pressure oil pressure regulator. Get under the truck in the front and look right behind the dampner. There will be a large allen head plug there. I think it's either a 10mm or 12mm allen. Can't remember for sure. Pull this plug out. There will be a large spring and a plunger that's held in by the plug. There shouldn't be any spring tension on the allen head plug as you loosen it up. If you loosen it up and it shoots out of there then the oil pressure regulator was stuck open.

Either way, pull the spring and plunger out. Just make sure you pay attention to which way it was orientated. Make sure the plunger is moving freely in the housing. If it all checks out reinstall it and do the test with the oil filter out again. If it's still not filling with oil then you either have a low oil pressure pump issue, or a pickup tube problem.

I have seen the front covers get scored up where the oil pump sits. This will cause it to not build oil pressure as well.

Last edited:

johnp115

Reaction score
Sounds like a blew the o ring between the pump fitting and the feed pipe. I would start with an air test of the system.

We did the fitting first. 2 nights ago. Finished that whole job up and the truck was fine. Then lastnight we did the stand pipes and dummy plugs so if anything is messed up I'm hoping it's those and not the fitting

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I had that regulator fail on my truck out of the blue one morning. Its just a place to start since your not getting any oil pressure.

webb06

Reaction score
I had that regulator fail on my truck out of the blue one morning. Its just a place to start since your not getting any oil pressure.

Just because the dash gauge isn't coming up doesnt mean he isn't getting low side oil pressure. Some trucks don't register on the dash until they start

OP remove the oil filter and have someone crank the engine while you watch in the housing. Oil should come up pretty quickly. If so you have low side pressure. From there you need to pressurize the system like mentioned above. Manually close the ipr and remove the icp sensor. Apply shop air via a homemade fitting or something that you can screw in to the icp hole. Listen for leaks.

johnp115

Reaction score
Just because the dash gauge isn't coming up doesnt mean he isn't getting low side oil pressure. Some trucks don't register on the dash until they start

OP remove the oil filter and have someone crank the engine while you watch in the housing. Oil should come up pretty quickly. If so you have low side pressure. From there you need to pressurize the system like mentioned above. Manually close the ipr and remove the icp sensor. Apply shop air via a homemade fitting or something that you can screw in to the icp hole. Listen for leaks.

Alright I'll check the filter when cranking. And now it's not starting at all unless the truck has sat for a couple of hours so I'm back to square one

78f100

Reaction score
Yes if its not starting after 20 ,miles or so something is wrong. Did you oil the o rings on the stand pipes and dummy plugs? What type dummy plug?

Latest posts

Members online