6.0 f550 won't crank

jameson731

Reaction score
Had to change the brake line that runs from under the cab to the rear of the truck today on our company 03 f550 6.0 auto dump truck. After replacing the line I went to start the truck and absolutely nothing happened. Turned the key to on and everything works properly(can hear injectors, fuel pump kicks on, etc...) as soon as I turn to start it there is nothing. I can hear the starter relay click but that is all. The only thing I could think would cause this is either the starter or ignition switch. I tried jumping the starter with a screw driver and it will spin but won't engage to crank the truck over, just free spins. I'm leaning toward my problem having to do with the starter because of this. Prior to this happening today there has never been an issue with the truck starting at all. I tried starting it in neutral with no change, checked fuses and didn't see anything bad and switched others out with them just in case. Not sure where I should go from here. I did pick up a starter to try and swap in tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

webb06

Reaction score
Did you try using the wire on the passenger fender that supplies the keyed power to the starter? Touch it to the positive terminal and if the starter is okay it will crank the engine. This is the connection you need to undo.
3d97ba7696a8dd755d211c8248e139db.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
If it's clicking it's getting signal. So ignition is working. If it's spinning when being jumped, than clearly its getting power. I'd replace the starter

jameson731

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards the starter being the issue. I'll post back after I install the new one in the morning.

firewalker73

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards the starter being the issue. I'll post back after I install the new one in the morning.

Could be the starter but double check the battery connections and the battery condition first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online