6.0 Head Scratcher

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
trucks not going to run off ether alone. the cranking speed slows down because the ether almost vapor locks the motor, thats why its hard on the lower end and headgaskets. need to look at injector pulse width cranking, doubt its commanding any. obviously icp isnt the issue. cranking rpms are high enough as well for ecm to command pulse width. check ficm sync and go from there.

TyCorr

Reaction score
trucks not going to run off ether alone. the cranking speed slows down because the ether almost vapor locks the motor, thats why its hard on the lower end and headgaskets. need to look at injector pulse width cranking, doubt its commanding any. obviously icp isnt the issue. cranking rpms are high enough as well for ecm to command pulse width. check ficm sync and go from there.

Yea, for sure on the ether. Especially if the "ether ping" is there. Cranking and it kinda grunts then tink tink tink...loaded up!

Mdub707

Reaction score
Sounds exactly like mine a few months ago... http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19949

Same issue, no smoke, ICP was at 1500, everything seemed just perfect, but no smoke and no fire.... ended up my turbo was sticking ever so slightly and wouldn't let the truck start, even with ether the second time. This truck has a new turbo though right? I'd check for air blockage somewhere else perhaps... simple, yet made me scratch my head too.

Marty

Reaction score

Small amount of ether. Usually it speeds up cranking, however in this case it bogged it down. When you use too much I know what that sounds like.

Yea, for sure on the ether. Especially if the "ether ping" is there. Cranking and it kinda grunts then tink tink tink...loaded up!

MikeWright_Codes.jpg

MikeWrightFICM_BattVoltages.jpg

MikeWrightICP_V_IPR_RPM.jpg

Charles

Reaction score
If the cranking rpm is low, and the starting system is a little weak, either, even the proper amount can, and will often slow the engine down. Hell, it will make one do the old, ruga, ruga, ruuuuuuuuuuuuuga, ruga, ruga, ruga on you sometimes, lol.

Either will absolutely lock an engine down and damn near stop, or completely stop the starter in certain situations.

It is usually not apparent because a hot battery and starter go fast enough that you just past it and fire and run. But if it's slow enough, it will fire fast enough each time that the slow moving piston can't crest TDC before the either expands and you get the slow down bs fest.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.