6.0 is devouring cam position sensors

Lancer

Reaction score
04 f250 125k miles work truck.
Replaced cam sensor 4 months ago, it lasted a month, next one lasted a week next one 3 weeks and so on and so forth.
Now we are on 6th sensor and it's out now.
First 5 were AutoZone, and they tested and warranted every one.
This one is FOMOCO (i thought that might be the issue).
It has NEVER died, stalled or exhibited any issues other than you get to work one morning and it won't start. AE and buddy's Snap-on both show CMP failure every time. Batteries both replaced, no other issues.
Does anybody have a direction to point me in, I'm almost bald already and this is going to finish it off! LOL
Seriously i would appreciate any input from the Gurus that inhabit this fine forum that i lurk.

GFDtech

Reaction score
May be the connector. The pins may be loose. Next time it does it disconnect the sensor then reconnect it. If it starts up, it's the connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lancer

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas! it is starting to look like the pigtail, as GFDtech suggested. sometimes you can wiggle the wires and it will start. once it's started it will run and start the rest of the day. Next morning won't start.

78f100; no damage on any of the sensors.

Pigtail ordered, i'll give that a try.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Tone ring might be the problem throwing it off?? I know of one other guy that had this problem way back kept swapping Cam position sensors and nothing changed ended up being the tone ring was moving around on him

Lancer

Reaction score
fingers crossed

silverpsd_06 - thanks for the input -i have also heard of that happening, hopefully not the case here, we went in with a camera and it all looked like it was in place (not sure we could tell though). For the moment the pigtail seems to have fixed it. I think we put too much faith in Autozone and the thought that they were warranting the sensors because they were bad. should have checked them myself.http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/images/smilies/fustrate.gif Lesson Learned.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.