6.0 low power

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Ok, yesterday my pickup ran great, lots of power, no issues. This morning, I fired it up and it was a bit rompy but no problems starting. I took off down the road and had no power. Went on a ten mile drive to work, the thing would barely get out of it's own way. It's knocking and shaking badly, almost as if it's starving for fuel. It's gutless as can be. I changed the fuel filters after work and it's running a bit better but still like crap. I'm thinking my fuel pump crapped out on me. Any other ideas? I didn't get a chance to check fuel pressure tonight, I'm hoping I can in the morning. Any other ideas or things I should check? It doesn't smoke a lick at idle or when I'm giving it heavy throttle trying to get up to speed. No blowby, no codes, boost will still get up to 20psi, just takes a long time, and icp will go up to 2800ish. I'm used to pumps dying in 7.3s where they just quit and leave you stranded, will a dying or dead pump in a 6.0 allow it to run, just barely, but run nonetheless?

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
does the pump run with KOEOFF? and by run i mean turn on then bog down as it pressurizes the system?

pump dead would mean engine dead, but it could be weak, or a blockage?

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I just went outside to listen. The pump does run but it sounds pretty crappy, it doesn't sound steady, it goes high/low/high/low as far as the pitch goes. It also sounds like its got air in there like its gurgling

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
pm me your number, will send a vid of mine. that way you can see if it is a bit off.

still doesn't mean its the pump though.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
The pump was putting out between 10 and 0psi so we replaced it. It ran great until it started to missfire. Looks like I dropped the number 2 injector based on the codes

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Well I picked it up tonight and it definitely needs an injector...got the dreaded white smoke out the tail pipe. I've got an international injector from work that I'll put in. I just got one for the latest designed fuel rail...that would be the correct one I'm assuming. Anyone ever run the international injector in their ford? I'm assuming it will be the same injector and I wont have an issue. I'm just wanting to confirm.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Well I picked it up tonight and it definitely needs an injector...got the dreaded white smoke out the tail pipe. I've got an international injector from work that I'll put in. I just got one for the latest designed fuel rail...that would be the correct one I'm assuming. Anyone ever run the international injector in their ford? I'm assuming it will be the same injector and I wont have an issue. I'm just wanting to confirm.

Done plenty of them that way Byron, no worries, slap it in and roll

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Done plenty of them that way Byron, no worries, slap it in and roll

Sounds good buddy, I just wanted to confirm....I'm having a hell of a week so making sure it was the right injector was a priority....well I was able to get my trailer moved tonight that I needed to...gonna get some food and a new drop light since mine is not at the house anymore and I'm going to put in a new injector. Any tips for getting the FICM clips off without breaking them off the plug? I seem to have bad luck with every damn one I've ever encountered. LOL

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Sounds good buddy, I just wanted to confirm....I'm having a hell of a week so making sure it was the right injector was a priority....well I was able to get my trailer moved tonight that I needed to...gonna get some food and a new drop light since mine is not at the house anymore and I'm going to put in a new injector. Any tips for getting the FICM clips off without breaking them off the plug? I seem to have bad luck with every damn one I've ever encountered. LOL

Push in, squeeze, remove... Help to wiggle a lil while pushing in the connector

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Well I drove it to work today, on the way there it dropped number 6 as well, it just so happened that we had two injectors in stock so I replaced them both after work. Got it running right before we closed up the shop...drove it 10 miles or so and it runs like a champ! I've just got my fingers crossed that I don't lose anymore injectors anytime soon...I wish I could have afforded to do all 8 tonight...then I wouldn't have to worry about it for a good while!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.