6.0 no start no ficm sync.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I have a 03 6.0 that I'm diagnosing a crank no start issue on. I have proper ICP, fuel pressure, and FICM voltage. However I am getting no ficm sync and a cam sensor code. My research shows that the cam sensor code can be caused by a extended crank so I'm not too bothered by that however i did swap the cam sensor and clean the mounting location and checked cam and crank signal at the PCM. I have signal from both at the PCM connector but I cannot find a spec or diagram of what the signal should actually look like. A guy who has been a tech for over 20 years said they looked good to him but that doesn't really say anything. What is odd is if I give it a tiny bit of ether it fires up and runs like a top. Any suggestions???

yannie

Reaction score
Are you building enough injector pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gary

Reaction score
Your last sentence,

What is odd is if I give it a tiny bit of ether it fires up and runs like a top. Any suggestions???

tells me you have a ICP problem. I have seen trucks with a ICP leak that will not start warm, start with a hit of either. So what is happening is the engine fires on the either and has more RPM that cranking speed which then creates enough ICP at time to fire the injectors. I think you should look at your ICP PID real close again and look for leaks.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Your last sentence,

What is odd is if I give it a tiny bit of ether it fires up and runs like a top. Any suggestions???

tells me you have a ICP problem. I have seen trucks with a ICP leak that will not start warm, start with a hit of either. So what is happening is the engine fires on the either and has more RPM that cranking speed which then creates enough ICP at time to fire the injectors. I think you should look at your ICP PID real close again and look for leaks.
I've seen it to, but my ICP when cranking actually goes right past desired and then drops back and holds right with desired. I think I'm gonna pressure test it just to be safe though.

Gary

Reaction score
Well what I wonder is if you are seeing default numbers???
What values are you reading #'s and % ?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Well what I wonder is if you are seeing default numbers???
What values are you reading #'s and % ?
Ive diagnosed plenty of 6.0 no starts that were HPO leak relates and the actual never met desired. I can get actual numbers this afternoon but I'm pretty sure that's not it. Ive diagnosed a couple that acted just like this but they weren't getting enough ICP, they both had blown injector to oil rail seals.

Last edited:
Reaction score
At the EBP sensor? Ill hafta try that too but I cant see why it would cause this issue.
On the 03-04s Ford reprogrammed them to ignore the EBP sensor. So if the sensor fails and shorts out it kills the 5 volt reference but won't throw any codes. With the sensor unplugged, check the reference voltage while cranking since that circuit is common through all the sensors.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
On the 03-04s Ford reprogrammed them to ignore the EBP sensor. So if the sensor fails and shorts out it kills the 5 volt reference but won't throw any codes. With the sensor unplugged, check the reference voltage while cranking since that circuit is common through all the sensors.
Will do. Like I said I checked signal at the PCM and the cam and crank sensor are putting out a signal and I can read RPM on the scanner but at this point I'm willing to try anything. What RPM should the scanner show while cranking?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
300ish I think. Do you have another truck to swap FICMs with?
Scanner shows anywhere from 60-150 rpm while cranking. Can anyone confirm what it should show while cranking and not starting and also where the PCM reads the RPM it would display on the scanner. I think I'm starting to get this tracked down!

weazel

Reaction score
Have you swapped the cam position sensor? I seen you had a code for it, last 2 no starts I got were the cam sensor

Sent from my fortress of awesome

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.