6.0 steering problem

Decker

Reaction score
I have a 04 f250 6.0. Ill be driving down the road just fine but then ill come to a stop sign and turn the wheel to make a turn and hear a pop. Then ill start driving and steering wheel and tires start to shake like the tie rods went out. i can't get up to 10mph before it all shakes. I just replaced the drag link and both tie rods and ball joint are all tight. What confuses me is i can park my truck turn it off and check everything out, then get back in later that day and drive it and everything will be fine. Then i did notice is i can almost predict when a pop will happen. Because when Im driving and go to make a turn around a corner i will go to make a slight turn and i can feel the tires jerk in the direction I'm turning. Then shortly after seems like the pop comes. The steering wheel is not stiff at all feels like normal i can turn it with one finger. Iv also notice a have a slight leak in the power steering line when i fully lock the wheel in either direction. But this leak would not be enough to make this noise i think. Just curious what other people think? Could it be the power steering pump going bad or the steering gear box. I also thought about the steering shaft?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Decker

Reaction score
I'm thinking its the steering gear, why you think it is the track bar? I get it be the track bar if i hit bump and it shook but it only happens every once in a while when i turn. Once it happen i can park my truck and come back hour later and everything be fine.

Layson

Reaction score
Also check out the leaf spring bushings. Sometimes they will make a pop like that.

Just have someone steer the truck on the ground while you lay infront of it. Might be able to see it...

78f100

Reaction score
I bet it's Trac bar bushing or joint, like already said have someone turn wheel back and forth while your in front looking you should find it. It's hard to feel slack in the Trac bar by shaking/pulling on it with tires on the ground, it has tension on it.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
Also place your hand on parts of the steering components while someone tuns the wheel. You can feel things sometimes better than trying to listen for them. Also could be the splines jumping on the arm hooked to the steering box.

Decker

Reaction score
Well just finally got around to checking trac bar and the leaf spring bushing. Both of them are tight. When i had my girlfriend shake the wheel for me i did hear a knocking noise. I checked around its definitely come from the steering gear or the steering shaft. Cant really figure out which one yet? Any one have ideas on how to check these or what the noise could possibly be coming from? I thought it could be the spline jumping but then i felt the steering shaft and could feel movement. So what would be ways to figure out if its one or the other?

sootie

Reaction score
i have never seen a ford pitman arm strip the splines. check and see of the nut is tight for starters.

Lassie

Reaction score
I've chased this same thing. I didn't see anything I thought mattered, but eventually changed the track bar bushing based on recommendations. It had very little play, but the $12 bushing was the culprit.

Decker

Reaction score
Started tearing things apart today and noticed the knuckle on the intermediate steering shaft is shot and think thats where I'm getting popping noise while i turn. Gonna start by replacing that first. I also have new set of 6in front leaf springs i want to put in little bit higher then my stock ones so i ordered a zone adjustable trac bar. When that comes in ill see if that helps with the shaking. So I'm gonna replace three things recommended and see what happens.

Decker

Reaction score
Replaced springs, trac bar, and steering shaft. The steering shaft u joint was completely shot and I'm positive that was creating my popping noise. But i still have the shaking and wandering. So now I'm going to go ahead and change the steering gear box, also going to get a new power steering pump.
Should i buy a redhead gear box or just go to advance and buy a cardone?
Going to also put a dual steering stabilizer on. Which one do people prefer?

Decker

Reaction score
so today it happen again... actually happen three different times!!! i have replaced the track bar (zone), leaf springs, steering shaft, gear box and even added dual steering stabilizer. The stabilizer helps when it does happen but I'm getting tired of trying to figure this out and wasting money. I still can feel the pop in the steering wheel and hear it.

I went cheap on the gearbox and got a cardone. Don't think it was a smart choice. But does anyone think that could be the culprit or is there other things need check out? Now it only happens every once in a while at a stand still and when i turn or turning a corner and i turn the wheel before i start to move forward.