6.0 surge please help

snoracerx

Reaction score
Here's the story truck is an 04 icp in rocker cover but from what I've been told it doesn't have the stc fitting because it has a cast hpop cover

Truck randomly surges and idles very erratically I kinda got it on video video isn't great but the best I have right now my 8 year old is the one asking

Truck
Studded
Egr delete
Blue spring mod
4 in turbo back
S&b intake
Turbo cleaned
Newer ficm
New icp
New cam sensor
New ipr

Running the truck stock right nto eliminate any variables

You can see the ipr % for from its normal 20-24% at idle to 40% without me touching the throttle I'm totally lost as to what could cause this also sometimes it will stumble then surge or sometimes just die

I've spent so much money on this truck that it is getting frustrating I just want it fixed once and for all

http://youtu.be/FF4KHSje9Gs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Lassie

Reaction score
Do you have any codes? Could be several things, ICP related, TPS, FICM....really need to check for codes and put a scanner on her to get anywhere.

snoracerx

Reaction score
Do you have any codes? Could be several things, ICP related, TPS, FICM....really need to check for codes and put a scanner on her to get anywhere.

Guess I forgot to add that no codes it's not the tps if you watch the video the value never changes until I press the pedal

Sent from my iPhone

reilly8282

Reaction score
I have the same problems with my early 05. Feels like a cylinder dropping out then coming back on. I haven't found the fix but I'm in to see what you come up with. Only happens warm. Not stiction. I think you see the ipr open because the PCM is compensating for a dropped cylinder by upping icp. Maybe injector dribbling from a clogged tip or bad injector oring.

Last edited:

Lassie

Reaction score
I cant see video. Have you measured FICM Volts?

If its a single cylinder issue, you should see on a power balance. Injectors can act like this when starting to fail. Does the surging stop or settle down at higher RPM or load?

Also, you probably wont get a contribution fault until you run at cruising speed at full operating temp. This might at least direct you to the right hole.

snoracerx

Reaction score
Injector O-rings are new

It doesn't surge all the time just once in awhile truck is always warmed up when it happens and usually near 80 degrees or above

Ficm voltage goes from 48.5-49 it was new 6k ago

Sent from my iPhone

reilly8282

Reaction score
Same here and running rotella t6. Mine didn't start until after studs and when I first used rotella. Previously used mobil1 5w40. I'm stumped to but glad I didn't buy a new icp and ipr.

snoracerx

Reaction score
Same here and running rotella t6. Mine didn't start until after studs and when I first used rotella. Previously used mobil1 5w40. I'm stumped to but glad I didn't buy a new icp and ipr.

Did you do blue spring mod at that time

Sent from my iPhone

reilly8282

Reaction score
I did do the blue spring, just checked pressure yesterday 60lbs only other thing I can think of is doing the bubble test when hot pull the secondary fuel filter and turn the truck over looking for air bubbles. I haven't tried that.

snoracerx

Reaction score
Well I just talked with two different shops and both have suggested the Pigtail for the icp so I'm going to do a wiggle test as soon as I get home I will report back shortly

Sent from my iPhone

snoracerx

Reaction score
Well I just talked with two different shops and both have suggested the Pigtail for the icp so I'm going to do a wiggle test as soon as I get home I will report back shortly

Sent from my iPhone

reilly8282

Reaction score
I hope so for you mine did not change, actually disconnecting it idled choppier than before.

snoracerx

Reaction score
Wiggle test showed nothing I'm gonna peal the harness tomorrow and see what I can come up with

Sent from my iPhone

snoracerx

Reaction score
Didn't get a chance to peal the harness open today but I did have to take the truck to town
Yesterday I tried to duplicate the problem by doing the wiggle test got no symptoms. Today when I drove the truck it ran like never before so I'm going to go ahead and replace that pigtail when I get a chance and see what happens.

The pigtail has been replaced before unless they come crimped with but connectors from the factory so I'm hoping it was a bad crimp on the wires and my problem will be solved

Ill report back after I have some more results

Sent from my iPhone

reilly8282

Reaction score
I checked for bubbles while cranking today and got nothing. It's either a small hpo leak on a single injector/rail nipple or and internally failing when hot injector. Hope you figure something out. I may send my injectors in to be gone through and hopefully repaired.

snoracerx

Reaction score
I checked for bubbles while cranking today and got nothing. It's either a small hpo leak on a single injector/rail nipple or and internally failing when hot injector. Hope you figure something out. I may send my injectors in to be gone through and hopefully repaired.

Check the icp harness I believe that's where my problem lies even if it doesn't its 25 bucks vs injector repairs

Sent from my iPhone

reilly8282

Reaction score
Check the icp harness I believe that's where my problem lies even if it doesn't its 25 bucks vs injector repairs

Sent from my iPhone

theoretically would that mean the miss, surge would go away and default values with the sensor unplugged? Ive pulled the sensor but never ran it unplugged for a short time.

Latest posts

Members online