6.0 trans cooler flush

Dustin F2504x4

Reaction score
Im getting ready to change out my smoked transmission with a rebuilt one and was wondering what was the best wat to flush the cooler out. What is the best procedure to flush the transmission cooler. Do I just run new fluild in one line with air until it comes out the other line?

dasboot

Reaction score
I wanted to flush mine by running the BG synth. trans fluid though a machine that pushed the old fluid out and replaces it with new fluid, we have at the shop. The fluid was compatable. The only problem is that you won't be able to do it with out heating the fluid enough to let it pass through. I researched this and communicated with a PSN member who was a Ford transmission engineer. Pretty well said don't unless you can heat it and maintain the heat going through the syatem. But do you own research, maybe there is a way. There were some things that I read that you can do it, but they were to complicated and mechanical.

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
I wanted to flush mine by running the BG synth. trans fluid though a machine that pushed the old fluid out and replaces it with new fluid, we have at the shop. The fluid was compatable. The only problem is that you won't be able to do it with out heating the fluid enough to let it pass through. I researched this and communicated with a PSN member who was a Ford transmission engineer. Pretty well said don't unless you can heat it and maintain the heat going through the syatem. But do you own research, maybe there is a way. There were some things that I read that you can do it, but they were to complicated and mechanical.
I believe this is true when flushing the transmission in the truck. The OP is just talking about flushing the lines and the cooler, not the transmission.

In for more information, about to do the same thing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
what was the best wat to flush the cooler out. What is the best procedure to flush the transmission cooler.
The best way is to replace the cooler with a new one.

There are transmission cooler flush machines now. I've read about them, but never saw one. It pulses the fluid back and forth and is supposed to do a much better job at cleaning out the cooler. A Ford dealer might have one.
The only problem is that you won't be able to do it with out heating the fluid enough to let it pass through. I researched this and communicated with a PSN member who was a Ford transmission engineer. Pretty well said don't unless you can heat it and maintain the heat going through the syatem.
There seems to be a miscommunication here. There is no need to heat anything when flushing a cooler. If you are flushing a TorqShift transmission then you need a heated flush machine. There is a thermostat inside the TorqShift that needs to stay open to be able to flush correctly. The cooler itself does not have a thermostat.

dasboot

Reaction score
The best way is to replace the cooler with a new one.

There are transmission cooler flush machines now. I've read about them, but never saw one. It pulses the fluid back and forth and is supposed to do a much better job at cleaning out the cooler. A Ford dealer might have one.

There seems to be a miscommunication here. There is no need to heat anything when flushing a cooler. If you are flushing a TorqShift transmission then you need a heated flush machine. There is a thermostat inside the TorqShift that needs to stay open to be able to flush correctly. The cooler itself does not have a thermostat.

Yeah I think I was not thinking. For some reason I got the subject mixed up. I'll blame it on dyslexia

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
i am putting a new trans in next week. i am afraid when the pump went out, it messed the fluid up. Like the OP, i want to make sure i do the right thing as the full billet trans i am getting was enough to drain my account. cant afford to replace it again. where is the place to get a new cooler?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I just took mine to a trans shop and tey ran it on the machinr for an hour.

Then again mine came off a wrecked truck not a smoked transmission.

Latest posts

Members online