6.4 2.6 pulling truck build

jimdawg185

Reaction score
If it was the joints, Dynatrac makes some king pin hybrid billet pieces that are really strong. If it was the axle that let loose around the joint (can't see in the pic) then, either a dynatrac 60 full axle, or something larger. Too bad you don't have better video, you could slow it down and watch the progression and see where it started to go wrong.

Reaction score
The video is kinda crappy but I can zoom in on my phone a little. The passenger wheel let loose first. But when we picked the truck up off the ground both wheels stayed and the truck went up.

Thanks I'm gonna look into dyna track.

Both axles are broke at the joints but idk if that is a result of the ball joint or the cause. Either way it's getting better parts put in.

PDT1081

Reaction score
King Pin 60 with aftermarket C's and Knuckles should stop that from happening.

Or maybe try a super 60 out of a 550, although I think they may use the same balljoints. may be another option to look into.

Nice carnage to say the least.
At that power level, I honestly think you are going to have trouble getting a 60 of any sort to hold up very long. Time to get creative about what the rules "don't say you can't."

ncollins64

Reaction score
Bending the rules a bit

Haha I had this pic saved since I'm trying to find a set. This might be a lil overkill LOL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 171

Stroked777

Reaction score
Wow that's a batch of bad luck. I say next it military style axles with the ball and socket type knuckles (don't know the technical name for those style axles) couldn't tell in the pics but did you have sled stops?

Riverside

Reaction score
CTM u joints and some 4340 shafts I would bet you won't have that happen again.

Or if ya really want the best of the best check out RCV shafts.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
If it was the bj's Look into the dynatrac ball joints and maybe look into gusseting the axle c's. I would assume he wants to keep the 60 so he can still pull 2.6

Also on axles These are big in the jeep world. Very strong I've always wanted to try them an a diesel application. http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-details-axles.aspx?sku=CVJ60-F2501 They will make them in 300m too

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i'm impressed, mike.

that was awfully polite of you, lol.

Was trying to make light of a bad situation with a good friend. Too bad we have some vaginas around here who are so sensitive to things that do not pertain to them.

ford rules

Reaction score
At that power level, I honestly think you are going to have trouble getting a 60 of any sort to hold up very long. Time to get creative about what the rules "don't say you can't."

The ball joints are a weak link, there not gonna hold up. I come from the off-road background and have seen many ball joint failures just the same as this.

I snapped the ball joints in my ranger when I had a BJ 60 went to kingpin and never had issues.

Go to a kingpin and RCV joints and I think you'll be okay.

The thing that sucks is you don't know if it was just a BJ failure or if the joints snapped and took out the ball joints.

swinky

Reaction score
Have you started it since then Morgan? Sounds like she revved up pretty damn high when it broke.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Stroked777

Reaction score
Wasn't there a similar failure like this at a pull in clarion PA, Eric George's 6.4. he broke the ball joints and he developed a nice stance (little joke there) I wonder what he did to remedy the problem

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 153

Riverside

Reaction score
99% sure it was axle joint - or - ears on the shaft that let go 1st.
When either of those let go spinning 5k .....or more.....it pushes the ball joints right out of knuckle.

This is the top factory ball joint.
The only thing holding it in the knuckle is being pressed in.
20140628_090723.jpg

The bottom one.....at least on my truck has a full snap ring around the bottom.
20140628_090737.jpg

That's probably good enough for a factory powered truck....Dam impressive ya blew the knuckle off with one joint having a ring.

Not sure if the top factory joint has a grove to accept a ring but if it does just got to grind enough off the bottom of the knuckle so that a ring can go on top and bottom.
20140628_090841.jpg

Rings top and bottom.....CTM u joints and 4340 shafts......that will not happen again.

I'm more bummed about the bed for ya.
Not to many 10' super long beds laying around lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.