6.4 Build help..

gpandlf

Reaction score
Hello guys..sorry to start a new thread, but I just bought an 08 f-350 XL.. I want to build it up a little. I do all my own work, im a diesel mechanic. I love all diesels, my last truck was a cummins (don't hate on me) and I had thousands of dollars into that thing to make it go fast.. Now I want a Cummins Killer, mostly because where I'm from everybody has a cummins... Anyways I want to just be around 550hp and run a 13sec 1/4 and still be able to use my truck as a truck.. So a good tuner, dpf delete, an egr delete, and air intake should get me there? I will be on a bit of a budget so what is the best bang for the buck tuner? I've been looking at the H&S mini maxx.. I really don't know much about the sct, I heard there is a gearhead tune? Does that come with gauges and stuff? I also was planning on putting a good torque converter in it.. The 6.4 is a whole new world for me, Most my experience is wrenching on big rigs, cummins and old 7.3 strokes..Thanks in advance for any help..

jdgleason

Reaction score
A tuner intake and exhaust will get you where you want to be. I would definitely look into an SCT with some custom tunes. We have them available and have had awesome luck with them. I think that is the best bang for the buck tuner right now. We also have egr cooler deletes for $150. If you want help with a package feel free to call or pm me.

patrickke

Reaction score
If you like the H&S ( I prefer the Mini-Maxx as it is easy to use and has gauges) we can do custom tunes on it for you. Let me know if you need a package deal

Patrick@KEM

Last edited:

Spatel23

Reaction score
You are not asking much at all. Should be pretty easy to run that 13. May even get lower depending on the configuration/weight of your truck.

Tuner, intake, and exhaust is all you really need. Id do a downpipe, egr delete, studs, no limit cac pipe, and a ported intake manifold too if funds allow.
Then build the transmission and pick a turbo. Elite 71mm atmospheric if you want to keep it simple.
The above would far exceed your goals and I only mention them since you would be saving all labor costs, assuming you do it yourself.
Innovative(SCT livewire) tunes seem to be the fastest, but the Dashdaq (Spartans tuning device) is the best form of guages out there period.

gpandlf

Reaction score
You are not asking much at all. Should be pretty easy to run that 13. May even get lower depending on the configuration/weight of your truck.

Tuner, intake, and exhaust is all you really need. Id do a downpipe, egr delete, studs, no limit cac pipe, and a ported intake manifold too if funds allow.
Then build the transmission and pick a turbo. Elite 71mm atmospheric if you want to keep it simple.
The above would far exceed your goals and I only mention them since you would be saving all labor costs, assuming you do it yourself.
Innovative(SCT livewire) tunes seem to be the fastest, but the Dashdaq (Spartans tuning device) is the best form of guages out there period.

Haha..Yeah maybe someday I will go all out, but for now I think a good tuner, exhaust and intake is a good start..

6.4psd916

Reaction score
It really doesnt take much to get there. I have the SCT livewire with Eric at Innovative diesels tuning package. I also have Matt at Gearheads tunes. Both tuners have great tunes. My sig has my dyno numbers with intake, exhaust and tuner. All the vendors on here will be very helpful in getting you what you want. And welcome to the army :ford:

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Just for a reference my buddy ran 13.06 with a mini max (No custom tunes), intake, pipe, EGR delete, traction bars and another bolt on or two...

Ex Cab Short bed, leveled on 35s

I personally agree with Spatel23 tho.. I'd go with an SCT and innovative/gearhead tunes, however the Dash Daq is definitely the best gauges, no doubt

gpandlf

Reaction score
cool,thanks guys, it doesn't sound hard to do then.. As soon as I sell my motorcycle I will have about $3k for the build.. How do these Trannys hold up? They are the same as the 6.0 trannys arn't they ? or is there a difference ? Is it even worth putting in a Triple Disk in ? Thats all I did to my Dodge and I never had a problem and I was at 500hp, but I also was pretty nice to it..

Spatel23

Reaction score
Transmissions have been known to hold up just fine with tuner, intake, and exhaust.

Of course, those reports are mainly from guys that started with brand new trucks, how many miles does your have on it? Just kind of depends what kind of life its had thus far as to whether or not it will stand up to 5-575hp.

gpandlf

Reaction score
It's got 112k on it.. Highway miles I think, it traveled all over the western US, It was a leased fleet truck for a paving company, I bought it for $15k!!, it was hard to pass up...it was well taken care of, I got all the maintenance records for it.. I will do a full tranny build someday, just don't want to anytime soon...

Latest posts

Members online