6.4 down.. need help!

djr4x4

Reaction score
Got a fella on another forum needing help. Any info I can relay to him would be beneficial... He has a spartan tuner I know that much. Not sure about anything else.

From him::: Pulled my camper to a dump site where I am curently stuck decided to change my tune. Steering wheel will not lock with keys out of ignition and the little red truck with a lock around it is blinking..... Need help asap

I've confirmed that the new tune that he changed to did indeed take... He turns the key, and the dash lights turn on but nothing happens. When he removes the key the steering wheel does not lock... Any ideas??

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Got a fella on another forum needing help. Any info I can relay to him would be beneficial... He has a spartan tuner I know that much. Not sure about anything else.

From him::: Pulled my camper to a dump site where I am curently stuck decided to change my tune. Steering wheel will not lock with keys out of ignition and the little red truck with a lock around it is blinking..... Need help asap

I've confirmed that the new tune that he changed to did indeed take... He turns the key, and the dash lights turn on but nothing happens. When he removes the key the steering wheel does not lock... Any ideas??

Does the little red indicator for the gears light up when he's turns the key on?

djr4x4

Reaction score
Just asked him that.. Waiting on a reply.. Told him I asked for help over here.. Hopefully he will come over here and chime in.. If not I'll play the middle man

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Check on the steering column also for wires that have rubbed through. You'll have to pull off the upper and lower cover to see. I had a truck where the PATS light (little red lock) wouldn't stop blinking and truck would not start... Come yo find out wire had worn though, fixed that and life was good

webb06

Reaction score
Has he tried the starter wire under the hood to see if it'll fire up? Located on the passenger side inner fender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Check battery connections on the drivers side battery. More specific the main harness wire connects to the battery terminal. IIRC it's a 10mm or 12mm nut that holds it down. As strange as it sounds, a loose connection made my PATS freak out on me and no steering wheel lock. Just a thought.

Last edited:

djr4x4

Reaction score
Last thing I had told him was to disconnect batteries, and let it sit for about 10-15 mins then reconnect and see if things reset and it'll start. I also told him to come over here that I started a help post for him.. it's been about 10 mins and haven't heard anything yet

djr4x4

Reaction score
Just heard back.. he tried the battery disconnect.. let it sit for a bit then reconnected.. still nothing... I told him to come here that u all have ton of info to help out..

djr4x4

Reaction score
He got the truck running.. started towing it.. decided to try it again and it started... dunno what the ordeal was..

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
He got the truck running.. started towing it.. decided to try it again and it started... dunno what the ordeal was..

My dually did that a few times it also has a Spartan.

Turn the key on PATS flashing and the cluster going crazy like when you flash the PCM/TCM with a tune.

Luckily I had my AE with me all those times it was acting up hook it up check for codes and a bunch of lost comm/pats codes pop up and clear them and boom all is normal.

If your truck doesn't want to start and you check for codes and nothing pops up I just hit clear some tuners can't pull the advance security codes that IDS//AE can pull.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Check battery connections on the drivers side battery. More specific the main harness wire connects to the battery terminal. IIRC it's a 10mm or 12mm nut that holds it down. As strange as it sounds, a loose connection made my PATS freak out on me and no steering wheel lock. Just a thought.

+1 here, battery swap thought I had that one tight, couple weeks later it backed off just a bit and had the same issue, Crank her down and off we go.

Latest posts

Members online