6.4 fluid damper

stroker 6.4

Reaction score
Wanting a fluid damper hormonic balancer what are you guys running? who makes a nice one?

White_monster

Reaction score
Pretty sure the OP was asking for a fluid filled damper not Fluid Damper. Does Fluid Damper even offer one for the 6.4? As far as I know only ATI make a damper.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Fluid filled dampers are no good in the colder states. If it even gets close to freezing they have a tendency to fail months later. ATI is the only way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inc4203

Reaction score
Hi guys. My name is Ivan and I work for Fluidampr.

I am not trying to convince ATI guys to use a Fluidampr. I personally travel the country testing engines for torsional vibrations and both dampers are so far ahead of the competition it is not even close. I personally know which is better but I am biased right? However, I do want to set some FACTS straight about our product. There are often people on these forums that have nothing better to do than put false information out about a manufacturer’s product with no knowledge of the subject or product.

Fact 1) Fluidampr's parent company, Vibratech TVD, invented the viscous damper in 1946 for heavy duty diesel engines.
Fact 2) Fluidampr's are 100% made in the U.S.A.
Fact 3) Parent company, Vibratech TVD is a viscous damper supplier to OEM's in the heavy duty diesel industry.
Fact 4) Viscous dampers are OEM on Cummins 6.7. It would more economical to use a cheap rubber unit, but after extensive testing Cummins now uses the same protection that the heavy duty diesel industry uses.
Fact 5) Quote from ATI "Fluidamprs are designed and work well on diesel engines, 90% of over the road heavy duty diesel trucks use Fluidampers". *Note* This was ATI's defense for Fluidamprs in the performance gas industry. It wasnt until ATI came out with a damper for diesel engines recently that they no longer say this.
Fact 6) Fluidampr in a non-heavy duty application such as daily driver pickups or performance applications will NEVER go bad. They are designed to last the life of the engine and do not require replacement or rebuilds. With heavy duty engines we recommend replacing every 750,000 miles or equivalent in hours.
Fact 7) Fluidampr dampers do NOT have issues in cold weather. Although I cannot share the name, one of our OEM's colors is green and yellow. These machines are used worldwide in many cold temperature regions. Do you think they would use viscous dampers if there was a problem in cold weather? The thin layer of silicone inside the damper is very thermally stable withstanding temperatures of less than -40°F to over +300°F. It can dissipate heat much more efficiently than rubber which only wears and breaks down over time.
Fact 8) Testing has shown increases in H.P. and Torque with a F.D. vs. stock rubber units.

I am more than happy to answer any questions regarding torsional vibrations and viscous type dampers.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Ivan, I'm sure you know much more about this than I ever will. But in my experience (mostly small block Ford) engines with FD on them that sit all winter have a high failure rate. Not sure if it's the cold, or what ever. But I've seem at least a half dozen fail with the owners of the cars blaming the cold and FD not doing anything. Never happened on a diesel to my knowledge, but ATI has had less issues. This is purely anecdotal evidence. But to me, as someone who has input on many peoples builds in West Michigan, I can not recommend FD without some personal testimonials to away my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Just installed Fluidampr on the 6.4, idle was definitely smoother upon restart but new tensioners/idlers/belts/water pump at the same time so no pointers at the pulley being the fix alone. Stock pulley had 200k on it, time to go in any event. I live in a cold climate, checked into the cold issues before purchase and don't have any raised eye brows, will definitely be getting the truck going again when its super cold here over the next few weeks, anything funky I will be on the look out for but expect nothing.

Reaction score
Just curious, what happened with all the front oil pump failures with 6.0 powerstrokes using fluidampers? Did they get that resolved? Not trying to be an a**hole but why do certain (aftermarket performance) crankshaft manufacturers not recommend or warranty their cranks if a fluid damper is installed? I worked for cat on engines and they used fluid dampers for a little while, then quit abruptly. I figure there must have been a reason?

Again just wondering,....

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Just curious, what happened with all the front oil pump failures with 6.0 powerstrokes using fluidampers? Did they get that resolved? Not trying to be an a**hole but why do certain (aftermarket performance) crankshaft manufacturers not recommend or warranty their cranks if a fluid damper is installed? I worked for cat on engines and they used fluid dampers for a little while, then quit abruptly. I figure there must have been a reason?

Again just wondering,....

This is interesting. Was there any sort of failures before they quit using them?

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
From the reading I did while deciding to put one on my dually, it was a bad batch of dampers. But that was all forum talk.

live life full throttle

That is what I found as well, with people posting after the first failures that they have had no issues with theirs, all forum postings though, maybe Ivan can comment?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.