6.4 head work ?

Jayz

Reaction score
im fixing to have head studs installed,guy doing work said he doesnt send heads out to be resurfaced. As there is only .03 thousands to work with and to make them flat again usually takes about .05 thou and that would make pistons hit heads. IS THIS TRUE? Just wanna make sure hes not blowing smoke,he seams to know his stuff but just want a 2nd opinon from y'all. thanx guys

dstryr

Reaction score
im fixing to have head studs installed,guy doing work said he doesnt send heads out to be resurfaced. As there is only .03 thousands to work with and to make them flat again usually takes about .05 thou and that would make pistons hit heads. IS THIS TRUE? Just wanna make sure hes not blowing smoke,he seams to know his stuff but just want a 2nd opinon from y'all. thanx guys

.030 is a lot of material but I don't think the ford spec has that much iirc. When I looked into it I think ford allows .010 to come off? Unless your heads aren't super warped most heads only get surfaced .003-.006 to get the flatness in check. Maybe you misplaced the decimal?

White_monster

Reaction score
Ya. You can take quite a bit off the heads but it requires resetting the valves in the head and adjusting the valve stem height to match the amount taken off. I'd take it elsewhere. It's been done by not decking them but it's not advised.

BFT

Reaction score
At least send them in to get checked. The amount of money you spend at a machine shop is no where near the cost of having to do a gasket job over again.

Reaction score
I from personal experience recommend decking the heads. I did mine first without decking with black onyx gaskets and only lasted 4 months. Pulled heads they were warped, took 8 thousands off put oem back on and been great ever since!

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
If the heads come off, send them out to a machine shop forsure. Have them checked for strightness and cracks. I would not do a head gasket job without being sure the heads are good and stright with no cracks.

Jayz

Reaction score
thanx guys for your responces. yes i misplaced the . i meant .003 sorry. this shop is doing work on my buddies 6.0 (bad oil cooler). we spent bout 2 hrs with him he knows his stuff from talking to him so to hear that i was like WHAT,i knew i read it on here b4 bout being done. ive never done hg on n e thing without a rs job. im just debating weather or not to just get new heads.

Latest posts

Members online