6.4 Intercooler Input Needed - Alradco

alradco

Reaction score
Some of you may have heard that along with our Alradco 6.4 Aluminum Radiator we've got in the works, we've started on a 6.4 Intercooler.

I wanted to get some input from some of you guys with regards to how much boost your truck makes, EGT's while towing and empty, etc. Thank you.

Peter

sootie

Reaction score
i can give you info but i dont know how typical it is. tuning plays a massive part in egts as does any other airflow improvements.

H&S canned tunes on Hot with a simple intake and 5" exhaust i could see 1600+ if i kept it floored from a dead stop to 135 mph

gearhead tunes, no limit piping, 71mm atmo charger and ported intake manifold i could see 1550 in 3rg gear until it shifted and tc locked and it would back down to 1390 ish.

cruising with the first setup was around 800 and with the second 690-700

alradco

Reaction score
i can give you info but i dont know how typical it is. tuning plays a massive part in egts as does any other airflow improvements.

H&S canned tunes on Hot with a simple intake and 5" exhaust i could see 1600+ if i kept it floored from a dead stop to 135 mph

gearhead tunes, no limit piping, 71mm atmo charger and ported intake manifold i could see 1550 in 3rg gear until it shifted and tc locked and it would back down to 1390 ish.

cruising with the first setup was around 800 and with the second 690-700

Thanks for the info. How much boost does your truck make?

Peter

alradco

Reaction score
Damn, 1600+! So is mid 50psi pretty normal? Any higher numbers? We're testing way beyond that. Thanks for the input so far.

Wayne

Reaction score
I see high 50's to low 60's. That's pretty regular for guys with common turbo upgrades. High 40's on tuned & deleted trucks. Factory pyro quits reading at about 1750, so I doubt you see many reports beyond that. Many trucks see that figure though. I've seen ic inlet pipe temps in the 600*+ range, hot enough to melt fuel lines & high temp wire loom touching it. Must be some high quality boots because they aren't melted. I've seen light colored powder coat get a brown tinge to it on these pipes under heavy use.

mandkole

Reaction score
One could measure a difference in cooler efficiency at cruise pressures and towing, but no cooler is going to stop 1600F on a WOT, heavily fueled pull. Integrity under pressure will be a key requirement, so if you can do 120psi before burst, that would seem adequate.

Peter, when you test/validate coolers are you going to use bench and vehicle or just vehicle? If bench, what simulates your ramair? charge air sources? Im familiar with cooler testing through guys I've known at Duralite, but Ive not seen any technical information on your website, so I'm wondering how you do it.

alradco

Reaction score
I see high 50's to low 60's. That's pretty regular for guys with common turbo upgrades. High 40's on tuned & deleted trucks. Factory pyro quits reading at about 1750, so I doubt you see many reports beyond that. Many trucks see that figure though. I've seen ic inlet pipe temps in the 600*+ range, hot enough to melt fuel lines & high temp wire loom touching it. Must be some high quality boots because they aren't melted. I've seen light colored powder coat get a brown tinge to it on these pipes under heavy use.

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

One could measure a difference in cooler efficiency at cruise pressures and towing, but no cooler is going to stop 1600F on a WOT, heavily fueled pull. Integrity under pressure will be a key requirement, so if you can do 120psi before burst, that would seem adequate.

Peter, when you test/validate coolers are you going to use bench and vehicle or just vehicle? If bench, what simulates your ramair? charge air sources? Im familiar with cooler testing through guys I've known at Duralite, but Ive not seen any technical information on your website, so I'm wondering how you do it.

We'll pressure test to 200psi but everything else will be on trucks in various driving conditions ranging from highway cruising to towing heavy over a grade etc.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I am at 58-60 psi of boost as well. Egts very depending on load and tunes, but for the most part they are in the range of 300-1500*

Dzchey21

Reaction score
80psi here with a stocker, intake temps rarely go above 120 degrees on a pass, pretty much a track only rig but I do drive on the street. EGTs... I never pay attention, high at the track 1000 is about all I see on the street.

dommel01

Reaction score
ill test one of these intercoolers for ya :] boost should be very high, just rolling into it yesterday spiked 70 psi at maybe 5/8th throttle

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I'm right around the same area as Sootie when running all out. H&S, intake, no limit goodies, exhaust. Towing don't see over 1300 area for egt's and 45psi on mild setting. I'm not running monitors either. I have Isspro EV2 boost/pyro/trans on a-pillar. Most of my towing is with two 163" Polaris pro's on a sled deck in the winter.

Latest posts

Members online