6.4 rail pressure drops

Jmcbride

Reaction score
I've got an 09 with custom tunes from ******** and an sct programmer. I just started noticing my rail pressure drops when I get to about 24000. Drops to about 14000ish.. if I let off the throttle and step on it again it will jump to about 29000. No codes. No funny smoke. I just installed a egr ****** with intake and my truck is running better than it has ever. Best fuel milage I've ever gotten.I've got 160000+- and replaced the hpfp and injectors at 110000. Any ideas??

Rubenk

Reaction score
Test low pressure side and make sure it is good.

If so, then i'd be betting HPFP **** the bed.

Jmcbride

Reaction score
The first time the pump went out I had to replave just about everything in the fuel system. Any chance I caught it quick enough? As soon as I noticed the pressure drop I parked the truck... don't want hafta spend anothwr 7grand..

Rubenk

Reaction score
Just depends if it sent shavings into everything. I dont think you can tell without pulling it apart.

7 grand for fuel system is insane. HPFP is 850, injectors are 1800ish.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Easy way to check is pull the secondary filter. If you got chunks of metal in there its done done. How long ago time wise was the.pump done?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Chit ruben, you beat me to it. You also gotta add in labor though. Plus fuel cooler, typically tank drop, and low pressure pump too. They do tend to run 7-8 grand at the dealer.

Jmcbride

Reaction score
About 2 years ago. I got all the parts changed and they flushed out the tank and lines. Not exactly sure what the final price was but it was right around there somewhere.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If you get the exact date, you may be under warranty still. We went to2/unlimited oct 2012

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Make sure as chit it is stock as a rock yhough when you take it in. Unless you are in the dealers good graces ie know someone who will turn their head...

Jmcbride

Reaction score
That would be nice if it was... if it is just the pump how hard is that to do. When they did mine the first time they did it cab on. Came back to the shop about a month later and her had bout a lift cuz it was an sob to do mine but I do t k ow if that was cuz of the pump or some other component

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I pull cabs to do them. I hate pulling turbos in frame and with the body off turbos stay on. Thats just me though. Im a bigger guy and dont fit in there. Seen lots of other guys do it body on. Plus f it does have metal in the system, the injectors and stuff are a hell of a lot easier to do.

Jmcbride

Reaction score
Ballpark price on just the pump? Labor and all.. best case senerio...I already know the worst

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Probably 1500-2000 depending on what all is on your truck affecting cab removal. Thats assuming 1000 for the pump and assorted parts and 115 per hour. Should be around 8-11 hours or so.

Jmcbride

Reaction score
Ok thanks for all the info. Ill check pressure and fuel bowl for any sparkles and maybe it will be just the lift pump but I doubt I'm that lucky

Rubenk

Reaction score
You could do a pump yourself, its pretty easy. I've done mine twice cab-on, once for OEM reman, and 2nd for a dragonfire. Takes an honest easy 6-8 hours, more like 12 for first time and alot of BS'ing. I can get turbos off in an hour probably, and i'm definitely no expert and have sub-par tool collection.

I did fail to replace a feed line washer this last time that caused a leak, but a buddy helped me yank the cab and fix the leak yesterday. 3.5-4 hours for cab-up, fix leak, cab-down, and running. If you do cab up its 100x easier so it can actually be cheaper if the mechanics are fluent with cab removal procedures.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The problem with what you are describing ruben is the way techs get paid. If the book says x amount, it is not what it takes, its what the book says. Gotten my ass kicke on plenty and lost money, made a lot this way though too.

Rubenk

Reaction score
The problem with what you are describing ruben is the way techs get paid. If the book says x amount, it is not what it takes, its what the book says. Gotten my ass kicke on plenty and lost money, made a lot this way though too.

I know, not arguing what a mechanic shop charges. Just giving him info if he tries to tackle it himself.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.