6.4 rockers wore severely.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Dad has 130K on his 08 and needs to replace his. The stealership is telling him that they have to pull the cab. How hard is it if you do it with the cab on?

no reason to pull the cab for rockers.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
no.1 exhaust,and no.7 intake lifters exploded,wiping out the cam.:puke:

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Someone needs a colt cam. :poke:

*** that all the issues this engine already has. the front cover is even cavitating as well.

i really need to crunch some numbers,as all the damage in this thing. might be a better route to go enhanced short block.

thats providing my machine shop green lights the heads?

87jumpy

Reaction score
Matt on here is selling a low mileage long block pretty cheap

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Stang07

Reaction score
Is there any way to tell if there is an issue with the rockers? Or is just something that has be checked visually?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yeap, its common... One truck JUST turned 102k and it came in for a contribution, the SFT was -18 so I knew I had a compression issue. Cold Compression test was awesome @ 430PSI, but thats only like 200 rpm. Idling it had a plain old miss. EVERY rocker, bridge, an dpushrod had damage. When I went to put the new pushrods in, I found a lifter that the circlip had come off and the top piece was loose, well, heads gotta come off at that point... This truck was run with synthetic every 5k. Ford is saying its because of fuel in the oil, wipes the already insufficient mist of oil off the rockers and causes this... If your not deleted, expect to do this 2-3 times in your motors life.

photobucket-36207-1339557934968.jpg

and here's #2 with the worn fulcrum
photobucket-8746-1339557912818.jpg

I dont like these 6.4s at all and I dont wish one upon my worst enemy.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yeap, its common... One truck JUST turned 102k and it came in for a contribution, the SFT was -18 so I knew I had a compression issue. Cold Compression test was awesome @ 430PSI, but thats only like 200 rpm. Idling it had a plain old miss. EVERY rocker, bridge, an dpushrod had damage. When I went to put the new pushrods in, I found a lifter that the circlip had come off and the top piece was loose, well, heads gotta come off at that point... This truck was run with synthetic every 5k. Ford is saying its because of fuel in the oil, wipes the already insufficient mist of oil off the rockers and causes this... If your not deleted, expect to do this 2-3 times in your motors life.

photobucket-36207-1339557934968.jpg

and here's #2 with the worn fulcrum
photobucket-8746-1339557912818.jpg

I dont like these 6.4s at all and I dont wish one upon my worst enemy.

Yeah i hear that. When a 6.4 breaks,they go down hard. Ill stick with my 6.0s

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
.Just did my first cab off last week... its going to take me a week to put the thing back together... three times the bolts and twice the wiring.... FML..... im going to be the dedicated 6.4 guy in the shop now.... everybody else is getting my gravy 6.0's... bastards

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
.Just did my first cab off last week... its going to take me a week to put the thing back together... three times the bolts and twice the wiring.... FML..... im going to be the dedicated 6.4 guy in the shop now.... everybody else is getting my gravy 6.0's... bastards

Ive done my fair share of them. Once you get used to them. It will be second nature.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Thats just it, getting used to them. The 6.0 was my cherry taker getting into this business and I love nothing more than working on them now, but these 6.4's are ridiculous...

SootRoller

Reaction score
theyre not bad.

Exactly. It takes time, just like everything else. If a 6.4 bothers you, wait till you latch onto a 6.7. Talk about some bs on the planet of this sucks camel dicks. The more you dig into one, the worse it gets. Just pure stupidity. Just because it will fit doesn't mean the tech can work on it. They missed that memo on the 6.7

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
6.0's are easy after you've worked on a ton of them

6.4's will be easy too and they'll keep paying into the future. enjoy! :D

sonic blue l

Reaction score
Rocker arms wear off from not changing your oil properly and using garbage filters.

Even idling will not kill them aslong as your basing oil changes of engine hrs.

What's the hr reading on that engine with the varnished and worn rockers (5k/150 hr oil changes dont varnish rockers like that unless he's using mazzola)

LReiff

Reaction score
I like working on 6.4s better than 6.0s! The cab comes off the 6.4s alot easier! LOL
Due to this thread I checked the rocker assemblies out of the blowed 6.4 I'm parting, they don't look good.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
My motor was out at only 31k. But the tech said is was the nicest and cleanest 6.4 he has ever worked on. delo400 every 3k. At 43k the oil still comes out clean/ not black. Tuned at 5k.