6.4 to 6.0

stroker221

Reaction score
Been thinking of taking a step back and getting a 6.0 for a build rather than keeping my 6.4. More reasons against that idea than for it?
Just a few pros off the top of my head:
-cheaper block by around $1500 (assuming the worst that I end up cracking one)
-Cheaper internals
-can buy a 6.0 now for a good price. (Big factor)
-there are no good solid options for 6.4 hpfp (remans are hit and miss)
-Siemens pumps tend to leak internally and create disaster.
-can find more wrecked 6.0's for next to nothing for spare block
-seem to be good options for HPOP's though!

In the end I think it would be cheaper to have a 10 sec 6.0 rather that a 6.4.
Thoughts?

stroker221

Reaction score
No but cylinder walls are usually bad enough to not be able to clean up right?
Internals, ok I was guessing there..
K16's go out quite often with these reman pumps is what scares me..

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Around here if I search hard I can find a good 6.0 truck for $2000-$5000 (with blown motor). Trucks are cheaper to find for sure, but you already have a 6.4?

Heui works ok... but for 10s you will need a light truck or twin hpops, and then you are right back where you were with your 6.4 HPFP problems.

It is going to cost around the same to build the motor itself. Rods, tranny, head studs, head work, push rods, etc... etc... all basically the same cost.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Around here if I search hard I can find a good 6.0 truck for $2000-$5000 (with blown motor). Trucks are cheaper to find for sure, but you already have a 6.4?

Heui works ok... but for 10s you will need a light truck or twin hpops, and then you are right back where you were with your 6.4 HPFP problems.

It is going to cost around the same to build the motor itself. Rods, tranny, head studs, head work, push rods, etc... etc... all basically the same cost.

THIS

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
No but cylinder walls are usually bad enough to not be able to clean up right?
Internals, ok I was guessing there..
K16's go out quite often with these reman pumps is what scares me..

cylinder walls for a built motor need to be bored to start fresh anyway, we have several "builds" with rods & pistons etc going on right now and they are all getting bored, i would not do a balanced bottom end w rods & pistons and not spend whatever your machine shop would want to bore it magnaflux etc etc

KCTurbos

Reaction score
IMO one of the biggest advantages of the 6.0 is that they don't have expensive fuel systems, less issues with rocker arms, and don't crack pistons.

But if you are doing a full built motor for the track then the pistons issues will be fixed. You will end up with an expensive fuel system when pushing 10s no matter which platform you choose. And I don't think you will get enough miles on the truck to worry about the rocker arms wearing out.

stroker221

Reaction score
Alright. I'll stick with what I have then. I'd probly end up regretting selling it. She's been nothing but good to me for the most part.
Thanks guys

Latest posts

Members online