6.4 turbo squeal

TheLeffert

Reaction score
I just got done installing new wicked wheels and cleaned my VGT while I had it apart. Put it all back together made sure to spin both turbo wheels, no play no catching. Installed and started the truck, It idled fine but once I increased the RPMs it started to have a loud squeal comming from the turbos. Turned the truck off and started it again and the squeal comes and goes at an idle and gets louder as RPMs increase. Any ideas what it could be ??

TheLeffert

Reaction score
I'm going to try and pull it back apart but when I put it in the wheels weren't rubbing or hitting anywhere. I just installed new pipes it dosent sound like its comming from there. Would the VGT have anything to do with it ? If I mess with the actuator the tone of the squeal changes.

ckrueg

Reaction score
The vanes are on the exhaust side. I'd bet the reason the squeal changes is because the rpms change when the vanes do, ie. closed vanes increase rpm

TD-5

Reaction score
Does it sound like something mechanical rubbing or more like a pressure leak, Its possible one of the seals in the transition/crossover tube between the turbos is leaking, or the outlet boot from the HP turbo.

Last edited:

TheLeffert

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys found the issue. Some how the exhaust vains are contacting the VGT vains. I unhooked the VGT and held the vains closed and the sound stops.

Latest posts

Members online