6.4 Your Still The One

cory151

Reaction score
Thought Id drop a line to report on my little 08 Superduty with 120k on it. I Just completed my 2nd cross country trip (San Diego to Buffalo, NY) without so much of hiccup.

Admittedly on the first trip I was probably hauling a few thousand pounds more, being it was a full size car, on a heavy double axle trailer. This load was a boat, a couple of motorcycles and a big old tool chest full of tools. I also loaded up the bed with a bunch jerry cans of diesel, as well. I averaged about 18.6 mpg over the entire trip.

I was able to knock of #2 and #5 from this list not to mention ripping through the entire 115 degree Mojave Desert with the A/C freezing my toes.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/towing/0911dp_10_toughest_tows_in_america/viewall.html

Im still in love with this truck, even though Fords latest variant (6.7) seems attractive and a good ride, Ive never had an issue with this thing. All I do is change the oil every 3-5k and the fuel filters twice per year. Lastly, this thing loves to pull, more so than my 7.3 or my 12v Cummins and thats saying a lot. Ive still not put my EGR delete on basically in case I have to put the DPF on to smog it for a day.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I just glanced through the toughest climbs.
I agree with some because they are the ones I have been over, but I have been over some that would demolish the ones posted.
Take 46 between I-5 and 101.
Take 166 from I-5 to 101.
Take 101 between 46 and 166.
All these are in the summer. 46 is steep dont know the percent.
166 is 7% after a pretty long stretch of 4%.
Both can be in the high 90's to low 100's in the summer.
Last time over 166 it was above 90 degrees at 10 in the morning.
166 is known in my area as the tranny killer.
Which i think all the ones above are harder than the Grapevine.
But you are right the 6.4 tuned and deleted is towing machine.

cory151

Reaction score
I would tend to agree, in fact I think the I-8 west from sea level to 6,000ft should be on that list, just based on the number of trucks pulled over and the ones that are still hauling are doing 25-40mph with flashers on.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I just glanced through the toughest climbs.
I agree with some because they are the ones I have been over, but I have been over some that would demolish the ones posted.
Take 46 between I-5 and 101.
Take 166 from I-5 to 101.
Take 101 between 46 and 166.
All these are in the summer. 46 is steep dont know the percent.
166 is 7% after a pretty long stretch of 4%.
Both can be in the high 90's to low 100's in the summer.
Last time over 166 it was above 90 degrees at 10 in the morning.
166 is known in my area as the tranny killer.
Which i think all the ones above are harder than the Grapevine.
But you are right the 6.4 tuned and deleted is towing machine.

I think monteagle needs to be higher lol. Never used trailer brakes on my gooseneck with 14000 lbs more than their. Including the grapevine.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I didn't realize 6% was suppose to be the max grade on interstates. No wonder all these 10% grades in WV always seem steep.

Hell I can't get to a town without crossing 8% grades. Same mountain I use to drive everyyy day to go to high school. :doh:

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I think monteagle needs to be higher lol. Never used trailer brakes on my gooseneck with 14000 lbs more than their. Including the grapevine.

Tennessee right, never been over it. Been close with some friends from the south and they have talked about it.

I think someone needs to email them and give them a list.
I am going over 166 next week and expecting 100 degrees with 18000#. It will make all the temps in the truck climb. Have not decided to use the street tune like I have been or the tow tune and slow down some.

cory151

Reaction score
I noticed going through Arizona that the oil temps are much more reactive than my coolant temps. I don't know how a truck could be harder on its iol than a 7.3 (since it basically uses the oil as hydraulic fluid as well as a lubricant). What is the highest oil temp you've seen on the 6.4?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
235-240 range few times towing in the summer. Dry heat does not remove heat very efficient. So the whole 5 degree difference and the oil cooler is bad goes out the window.

cory151

Reaction score
I notice that higher RPM causes increases an increase in oil temps as well, perhaps indicating additional stress on oil at anything above 2,000 rpm

RedRice589

Reaction score
It didn't seem to bother my truck at 65 in 4th it would hold 2500 rpm's and go right through all of the passes on I79 and route 19 in WV but it didn't like the last trip to Florida.... Idk why. Didn't even bother with it this time just got rid of it. The 6.7 ate the trailer that was killing my 6.4.

BKopp

Reaction score
Yea monteagle sucks.lol I live about 10 mins from it

That hill or whatever is what did my HG in on my 2004 - 6.0bummer pulling an 8x26 enclosed trailer on stock programming with 65,000 miles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

uga33

Reaction score
Monteagle is a good one. Only towed up it with my 6.0. She handled it great. The worst one I have ever attempted was Sand Mtn in Alabama. Had 21k behind the 6.0 and she was doing everything she could to hold 20mph. Then there was that one time that I towed Jeff's truck up to Spartan Diesel when the TC went out. I was worried for the ole 6.4.

Latest posts

Members online