6.4l single turbo

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
sounds good maybe will have to see how the tune runs with a 472.
I think I am pushing my luck with only doing an airdog for fuel mods, but I guess I will see, got the kit finally hoping to install next week:popcorn:

I'm running same tune as andrew with a 472. Love it. Andrew what's your fuel mileage?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

buck russell

Reaction score
Doing 70mph on cruise control to Georgia and back (1948mi round trip) my average was 17mpg on the hwy.

My truck also had 900lbs worth of crap loaded up.

cloud n it

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for replies.

THANKS MPD for the kit, had to do a few tweaks and some custom fab work on the kit to make it work but with a little extra effort to be expected on a custom kit like that, the S472 is installed. on mild box tune on Mini Maxx, no power and huge lag.

cloud n it

cloud n it

Reaction score
cloud n it is my brother

I have done some tweaking with MCC for this truck.
To recap on the truck. Full deletes, egr delete with elbow, and 5" exhaust, arp studs, MPD install kit for single, BW S472 reg cover 71.1/83/.9/T4, Mini Maxx

USED HD300 as base tune with S1M trans schedule
With the few tweaks i have done, we now have cruise, no DTC codes now for turbo or related and a lot better spool up. I delayed up-shifts to help build boost / rpm and truck pulls hard now through to OD, delayed it from shifting into OD until boost is fully up, right now peaking at about 42psi of boost
I have altered the fueling as we want the truck to run clean as a daily driver.
In town driving and general mid throttle acceleration lag is very minimal compared to stock, albeit requiring higher rpm/delays shift.
From a dead stop truck smokes moderately under WOT from stop until truck has just shifted into second and boost has came up to about 27 psi and then truck runs clean until torque convertor locks in third at about 34 psi and briefly smokes until boost catches up which is very quickly and it runs through to 4th at about 42psi

Looking for tips in general and things in MCC:

People are welcome to throw me under bus but the more that are willing provide their own input on this and helpful suggestions for MCC the better.
Questions to start, once some people chime in there are more to follow:hammer::hammer::hammer:

1. what rpm should i look for max for WOT shift points, at each shift point,
2. i have not altered T/C TCC settings at all, down shift points are similar to stock and i set the values in the settings over 75% throttle to down shift sooner, this helps it stay in the RPM range where boost builds quickly / less lug and less smoke, with the box tune S1M the truck would drop low in 4th with TC locked and anything more than slight amount of throttle would mean MEGA smoke, truck now drops to 3rd and lights quickly, locks and goes to 4th with only moderate smoke on T/C lock. without altering any tables but shift points, is this hard on anything and what is suggested, trans is stock
3. by using HD 300 and altering the smoke limitation tables only to find spots where fuel could be added, is that a safe method, with the theory that HD300 has very good timing/volume for fuel settings built in and limiting where that fuel can be delivered with the smoke limit tables is it correct to think that means it is using a proven fuel map and just overriding it at all points using the set maximum in the limit table?
4. this is a daily driver, so although finding the fueling/shifting for power is important in the top end of the maps for WOT or close to WOT, what is suggested for shifting/fueling for the maximum fuel economy with this turbo set up. like what rpm should allow to build in 1st and 2nd gears with delayed shifts, primarily 1st and 2nd would be used for in-town driving and will help build boost/power and keep the charger up to help with smoke but would less fueling/power at bottom end be more efficient even if turbo isn't lighting and boost is minimal?

wow, i have a lot more questions but that will get us started!

now, I sit back - take over guys! :toast:

Last edited:

cloud n it

Reaction score
anybody running a single turbo have a high pitch squeal sound from the exhaust, mostly hear just before the truck shifts when it is in the higher rpm's???
wondering if it may be an exhaust leak, but before I go any further that way, I am also wondering if it could possibly be a noise from the turbo itself?? any ideas??

Jbenso127

Reaction score
Check your manifolds as well. I had two bolts back out of the back of my passenger side mani, and it sounded like a dang jungle cat under the hood.

cloud n it

Reaction score
that was what I first thought but, all looks fine there is no soot anywhere, which if it was leaking it would blacken up pretty quick.....

cloud n it

Reaction score
i did just completely rebuild the motor, and manifolds, up-pipes and turbo gasket all appear to be doing there job:)... . i never had this noise before with the factory twins on, but then again the exhaust is a lot deeper tone, so may be a vibration with the different pitch......

strokin20

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet its a loose bolt somewhere on the exhaust. when I put my 71mm atmo on, I had the same thing. I had a bolt loose on the exhaust manifold where the up-pipe bolts to it. tightened it down and its all gravy now.

Jbenso127

Reaction score
that was what I first thought but, all looks fine there is no soot anywhere, which if it was leaking it would blacken up pretty quick.....

Where mine was leaking from, I didn't really see much soot.. I think the space may be too small for the soot to pass by, but still squeal. Hopefully you get it figured out!

cloud n it

Reaction score
okay, i checked out my manifolds tightened all but the few below the heat shield on the passenger side, still making the noise, so looked closer, and found that my ebp sensor that i tapped into the manifold was cross threaded:doh:, so fixed that issue expecting i would be off and running, but the noise never left me??

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Check where the turbo mounts to the uppipes. Also check any vband connections as well as your intake piping. Check where the manifolds hook to the uppipes. Also check bellows like stated.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4 Beta

cloud n it

Reaction score
thanks for all the help everyone, i finally located it, a stupid little piece of metal down inside the back passenger cab corner, at certain rpm points with the single turbo exhaust tone it decided to rattle, almost lost sleep over this one.......

Latest posts

Members online