6.4ltr with a 4R pros and cons please

AllanB

Reaction score
I know this subject has been covered and probably exhausted. But the threads I have read have been guys that were talking about pulling a good 5R and installing a built 4R. I a about to order a BTS 5R110, and it has come to my attention that a BTS 5R100 with the the PCS controller and race tunes is the same price. So I thought I would throw it out there. What are the pros and cons to this?

AllanB

Reaction score
5R is $5400 and the 4R with the PCS controller is also $5400. This is the reasoning for my asking, they are the same price and to my understanding the 4R is the strongest of the two. Now this is the price I was given, but it maybe a little more or a little less depending on who you get it through.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
5R is $5400 and the 4R with the PCS controller is also $5400. This is the reasoning for my asking, they are the same price and to my understanding the 4R is the strongest of the two. Now this is the price I was given, but it maybe a little more or a little less depending on who you get it through.

With the 4r you'll lose cruise control...I'm trying a few things when I get my truck back to retain it though

They seem to outlast the 5r in high abuse situations, shifts when commanded every time, it depends on your situation id say on which is better, 5r for a dd truck not getting pushed hard...if its getting ran hard id say 4r

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JDub

Reaction score
I don't think it gets any better than a good 4R100. The H&S 6.7L Cummins has a BTS 4R and went 9.21@146mph

Motostroker

Reaction score
I heard tuning the pcs can be a PITA, but other then that I would go 4r. As I'm not really easy on my truck either

Mdub707

Reaction score
I heard tuning the pcs can be a PITA, but other then that I would go 4r. As I'm not really easy on my truck either

That seems to be the case when tuning for the 5R110, but PCS is a piece of cake from what I understand with a 4R100...

I see fummins trucks all the time with 5R110's still and they almost always say "needs some fine tuning with the trans"

Motostroker

Reaction score
Ohh ok I understand. The 5R is hard to tune because of the trans relearn process? Sorry for derail. Next time my 5r drops I'm swapping to 4R.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I think a lot of the 5R's reported problems are from the tuning. Tuned properly I think it will last longer than what some are getting. Remains to be seen, since there aren't many costumed tuned trans out there.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The 5R is hard to tune because of the trans relearn process?
There is no relearn process in the transmission. The relearn process is in the stock controller, so if you replace that with a PCS there is no relearn.

I think a lot of the 5R's reported problems are from the tuning. Tuned properly I think it will last longer than what some are getting. Remains to be seen, since there aren't many costumed tuned trans out there.
Why would the trans need a costume? I could understand needing a custom tune, but I don't understand the costume. :naughty:

Here is why it is so hard to tune a 5R110. I used to tune them for a living at Ford.

It's WAY harder to make software shift a TorqShift than a*4R100, due to the design of the two transmissions.

The*4R100*is an all non-synchronous design. This means that for each upshift all that happens is a clutch is applied. All you need to do is control the pressure to the oncoming clutch and you're all set.

The TorqShift is MUCH more complicated. The 1-2 and 5-6 shifts are the same, they are non-synchronous and all you need to do is control the pressure of the*OD*clutch. The other shifts are the problem.

The 2-3 is a swap shift. This is a special catagory of difficult shift. I believe Ford is the only trans maker in the world that still does swap shifts. Others have put swap shift transmissions in production and then replaced them within a few years. To make a swap shift the TorqShift needs to release the*OD*clutch to downshift the*OD*gearset while applying the intermediate clutch to upshift the Simpson planetary gearset. This is an upshift and a downshift occuring at the same time in the same trans. From my experience these two shifts MUST complete within 30 milliseconds of each other or it's going to feel awful. If the*OD*releases too soon the engine speed will flare. The amount of flare is dependant on how much sooner it completes. If it completes before the intermediate has enough capacity the trans goes back to first gear! Then it has to make a 1-3 shift. A few*WOT*1-3 shifts means the trans comes out to replace the intermediate clutch. Been there, done that. If the*OD*releases after the intermediate comes on you end up in 4th gear (1.09:1 ratio) then downshift back to third gear (1.54:1 ratio.) Either way it's really bad.

Now if you made it though that you need to make a 3-5 shift. 4th gear is the 1.09:1 ratio that really isn't used. The 3-5 is a synchronous shift. It's timing requirements are about the same as the swap shift, but there is no downshift. To make the shift the intermediate clutch has to release while the direct clutch applies. If the intermediate releases too soon you get an engine speed flare. If the intermediate releases too late you get a tie up. A tie up is when all three pieces of the planetary gear set are held from turning. This means the output shaft of the trans STOPS. That's not a pleasant thing to have happen when you're at*WOT*making a 3-5 shift. You can lock the wheels on an upshift! I've done this, too. You can also break expen$ive parts doing a tie up. Been there, done that, too.

Now start thinking of the combination shifts that can happen. How about cruising at 55 MPH behind some slow poke on a two lane road? A passing zone opens and you floor it. Now you may want to go from 6th to 3rd gear. You need to release the direct clutch and apply the intermediate. That's a synchronous shift in reverse.

As you can see from just these few examples it isn't a trivial task to make one of these transmissions shift. It's what I did at Ford for quite a few years, three of them working on the TorqShift. I'd be really surprised if anyone makes a controller for the TorqShift that works really well. I think someone could make one that does some basic shifting, but getting one so that it shifts at least as well as a stock trans is going to be a HUGE task.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Id be more into a 4r swap if I could maintain my everyday daily driver necessities. Gear selector and cruise control being the main two.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I'm not completely sure if this is the proper terminology but, why couldn't those of you wanting to run a 4r with a PCS put a manual "ECM" in the truck so that you can retain cruise control? It's probably more complicated than that, but just curious. A PCS and a 4r is a lot of fun to play with and not very difficult to learn, I've been very happy with mine.

Latest posts

Members online