6.7 Built shortblocks and one off hard parts....

Mattf1987

Reaction score
Hey guys just testing the waters here, not trying to impinge on any of the big builders and dealers out there just looking to see if some things would be of interest to everyone.

I will start by saying me and a friend have sat down with a very reputable engine builder and friend of mine "Jeremy Allan" of inline pro. Jeremy is best known for his work in the Honda and acura world where he is at the top of his game as far as building the highest hp and fastest motors in the import race scene. Jeremy has a full service machine shop located in va and is currently helping me build my 6.4 and we have thrown around the idea of getting into into the diesel industry making specific parts for the psd's to start with. Here is what we are talking about doing in short.....

fully assembled 6.7 short blocks including...

*new ford block
*new ford crank
*new ford cam
*Jeremys custom forged rods
*looking into pistons at this point in time, possibly one off cast units as well as forged.
* One off bottom end bearings including main/rod/main thrust. These bearings will not be your standard ford or clevite "p" bearing. These bearings will be the biggest introduction into the powerstroke aftermarket and will offer enhanced performance far beyond what the factory bearings are capeable of.
nothing is set in stone yet but we have already started the process of manufacturing and if all goes well the plan is to offer these short blocks without core charge and all balanced ready to drop in. We will be testing these parts out and will keep everyone posted as to our findings. lets me know what yall think.

I am not trying to sell anything on here just trying to discuss and throw ideas back and forth.

sootie

Reaction score
My advice is get your truck done and put some hard miles on it. See what kind of hiccups you run into on the way. Once you have that under your belt and you are SURE you want to pursue that career, build a 6.7 the way you dream and put it in a truck. Flog it. Go to events with it. Get real world testing data.

What are you doing that is going to be so different or better than all the other reputable 6.7 builders out there now? All you have mentioned to pique interest is a different bearing type? Fuel, Air and Tuning are likely the biggest challenges and you have not addressed any of those things? What are these "one-off" parts that you speak of?

No one on here is going to buy a dream or an idea-we like hard facts. It takes deep pockets and serious dedication to set the world on fire in this industry.

We all love more options and new ideas but ,i personally, have had it being a guinea pig.

Not trying to rain on your parade-just trying to be realistic.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I would build 6.4 motors first. They drop like flies and it's often a full rebuild with the truck down for weeks or months.

Mattf1987

Reaction score
My advice is get your truck done and put some hard miles on it. See what kind of hiccups you run into on the way. Once you have that under your belt and you are SURE you want to pursue that career, build a 6.7 the way you dream and put it in a truck. Flog it. Go to events with it. Get real world testing data.

What are you doing that is going to be so different or better than all the other reputable 6.7 builders out there now? All you have mentioned to pique interest is a different bearing type? Fuel, Air and Tuning are likely the biggest challenges and you have not addressed any of those things? What are these "one-off" parts that you speak of?

No one on here is going to buy a dream or an idea-we like hard facts. It takes deep pockets and serious dedication to set the world on fire in this industry.

We all love more options and new ideas but ,i personally, have had it being a guinea pig.

Not trying to rain on your parade-just trying to be realistic.

Thanks for laying that all out there. The parts will be tested before they are put into production and I agree. I would never just buy a part without it being proven time and time again. Once the parts are in hand they will most likely be put into test motors and tested. I wasn't trying to say that he could do anything different/better than any of the other builders out there. When it comes down to it it's al just nuts and bolts hahaha. The bearings and rods are going to be the first things in hand. The tuning will be left to the big name tuners out there. One crappy thing about building motors is no matter how good of a motor you build a bad tune can ruin it. Hard parts being the rods/pistons/bearings.

As far as the funding goes it is all there and Jeremy has connections and works with some of the top names in the industry when it comes to pistons/rods/bearings and everything motor related.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
several things

innovation is always a good thing

I feel you may get roasted on this thread

you have to look at who is close to your area that's already doing what your thinking about doing....and what they have accomplished so far. not saying don't go for it but your not reinventing the wheel and if you don't have a truck that's built yet your already kinda far behind. And im not sure how many diesel guys would be willing to make the jump because of what someone has done with the Honda market because there cliental is night and day different and the diesel performance market is a hard one to jump into and be a "somebody"

:blah:

Mattf1987

Reaction score
several things

innovation is always a good thing

I feel you may get roasted on this thread

you have to look at who is close to your area that's already doing what your thinking about doing....and what they have accomplished so far. not saying don't go for it but your not reinventing the wheel and if you don't have a truck that's built yet your already kinda far behind. And im not sure how many diesel guys would be willing to make the jump because of what someone has done with the Honda market because there cliental is night and day different and the diesel performance market is a hard one to jump into and be a "somebody"

:blah:

10-4 I agree with ya man. I'll wait until we have parts in hand and then start something after we are ready to test thanks for the input!

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
Why not start small with turbo kits and then go full motor build?

I'd say learn how to tune and all aspects of that because everyone needs tunning but only a few will want a built motor.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Just curious on what it costs to build a high hp Honda which I would guess somewhere in the 700-1000 hp range? Because I'm not to sure if your familiar with the cost of doing that same range in a diesel you better have 20-30k sitting around to do a full build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Just curious on what it costs to build a high hp Honda which I would guess somewhere in the 700-1000 hp range? Because I'm not to sure if your familiar with the cost of doing that same range in a diesel you better have 20-30k sitting around to do a full build.

Hub city performance (a honda performance shop) is right beside the shop I work at. The owner has 30k in his engine and 10k in his trans if I remember right... it ran 9.5 at 167 mph last year.

Last edited:

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Well there ya go. I was curious what it took to see if they would be amazed by the price of what these take to do even a more mild build. But I guess I takes a lot to make a little motor work that hard

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Well there ya go. I was curious what it took to see if they would be amazed by the price of what these take to do even a more mild build. But I guess I takes a lot to make a little motor work that hard

You could probably build a mild one with rods, pistons and head work for what just rods cost in one of our trucks though...

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't even THINK of marketing engines until I had a few built/sold with some solid miles on them, and testing them with as much or more power than I was rating it at. that's a very expensive test for what could be an explosive situation. these engines have proven to be hit or miss at high hp. and making the power to what they are rated at in built form is a task in itself. not sure what forged rods rate vs. powder metal but billet rods are a safe choice. nobody here will buy, or buy in until the rubber meets the road. don't ask me how I know, as I'm yet to replace an engine , ever.

Mattf1987

Reaction score
For example the all motor Hondas that he builds the engine for are running 4xx wheel horsepower and ran as fast as a 9.7x this past weekend. These are full body cars too not tube chassis. The turbo cars are pushing the envelope far north of 1000 hp. It's not easy getting 4xx wheel horsepower out of a naturally aspirated 4cyl. As far as cost is concerned it's about 15k just in the longblock. The real test is keeping these motors together and not have them drop out every weekend. He has figured out how to do so and has broken many parts along the way testing different materials and different methods. Yes it is a different territory stepping into the swinging v8 diesels but it's still a motor.

Mattf1987

Reaction score
I agree guys I should have gone about having a discussion rather than market something that wasn't proven yet. That's not how I meant it to come out I lack proper writing skills lol

Mattf1987

Reaction score
In all seriousness tho I think the bearings will be to everybody's advantage weather being te weekend racer/ puller or the big company that build motors frequently.

Latest posts

Members online