6.7 Head gaskets???

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Here is the interesting part I have not seen anybody use for tuning which is more accurate than anything on the market.

Windrock engine analyser. You wouldn't believe what can be seen with one using ultrasonic noise analysis. It's only a $80,000 tool with all the correct fixings and side dishes.

I have an analysis done on large bore engines to see peak firing and timing in Lue of valve opening and closure. Specifically on engines with no taps for cylinder pressure testing.

DaCajun

Reaction score
Thanks Cat, I do appreciate all your input. This is what I said earlier, I'm always willing to listen and learn the details in making this right!!! As for adding weight to the crankshaft, that will get done when we do the balancing. Instead of using lead which would probably to pliable or soft, they use mallory plugs when weight is needed and drill a bit in areas that need weight removed.

I'm going to have to do some studying to see the effects the added stroke is going to affect the tuning. That's very interesting and certainly something to consider!!!. Thanks for the heads up on that!!!

Like I stated earlier, since this thing rides on 19.5s, I'd really like to do something to make the ride more bearable so I'm ditching the leaf springs in the rear and building my own four link with air suspension...My plans are to run air bags up front as well.

Currently I own a 2002 F350 DRW 4x4 /w GearVendor overdrive. My truck is very clean and only has 80k miles so I really don't have to rush this project. We'll see how this goes and I'll keep you guys up to date on the progress...

Thanks again for your input!!!

sootie

Reaction score
I swear some of you must wake up on the wrong side of the bed daily!!!

Would it kill some of you guys to NOT be so damn negative all the damn time??? Sure, I'm taking on a project that may not agree with your capabilities or rather your lack of capabilities , but so what??? It's my project, not yours!!!! I think I was pretty clear of my intentions of sharing what I learn in case others may want to learn as well....I really just don't get it, if someone prefers a blue truck and you don't agree with that, couldn't you just give the man a nice compliment or not say anything at all??? Is life really that bad???

Better yet, if there's an ignore function on this site how about you put it to good use so you don't have to feel the need to bother yourself with what I have going on!!! I'm doing this for ME not you or anyone else!!! If you don't like it, tuff chit!! Now go find yourself a bottle of happiness, cus it sure looks like you could use it!!!! Damn!!!:fustrate:

LOL did you miss the "imo" part? dont post on public forums if you dont want opinions...

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
LOL did you miss the "imo" part? dont post on public forums if you dont want opinions...

hey sootie.. here's my opinion. you should sell your truck and go buy a civic. i'll bet you fit right in with that crowd.

to the op, good luck with the build, I'm interested in pics and results!

sootie

Reaction score
hey sootie.. here's my opinion. you should sell your truck and go buy a civic. i'll bet you fit right in with that crowd.

Yet another lol

DaCajun

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!! BTW, I'll be ordering the pistons come Monday.... Once I get all the parts collected then it'll be off to the machine shop. The order in which all of this will need to happen is, the mains caps on the block will receive studs in place of the stock main cap bolts. Now to be completely honest, main studs are really not needed at this level but they're not too expensive and me being from the Hot Rod go Fast world this is just an area we always throw studs in so why break that habit now??? So with new studs it will necessary to have the mains line honed. This is because the new and different type fasteners puts a slightly different stress on the main saddles which so it's always best to have it line honed when doing so. Plus it's always good to have this done anyways for a peace of mind knowing that this area is nice and round, true and inline with each other!!! And from there the block will get placed in the cylinder block CNC machine and all the following machining processes from here forward will be doneon this machine as it references everything off of the block's crankshaft centerline. This assures everything will now be square and true with the crankshaft.... All eight cylinders will get bored and honed to fit the new pistons which I believe they are going to be .5mm or .020 oversized. Now ultimately it's good to do the honing with a torque plate attached to the cylinder block to reproduce the same stresses the heads do when they are torqued down on the block. This stresses the cylinder bores and leaves them out of round where the head studs pull the bores out of shape. Doing this really, really helps with the rings sealing to their now new nice and SUPER ROUND bores!!! Now I'm not sure if this machine shop has a torque plate for the 6.7 or not, so that one I'm going to have to check on to see. If not, I have a good friend who owns a regular machine shop and I'll either use his knee mill to make one if need be or just have him do one on his fancy four axis CNC machine. Anyways, once all the boring and honing is complete then it'll be to resurface the the two decks. What this does is ensures both decks are square and level with the crankshaft front to back and side to side. Also in doing so, the surface roughness can be tailored to whatever the head gasket manufacturer suggests for optimal sealing per their gaskets.

Ok, with all that done now I'll know exactly what the deck heights are. This is the distance from the crankshaft centerline to the tops of each of the decks. You want those to be exactly the same!!! Now I don't what the stock deck height is for these 6.7s, I've been having a helluva time trying to find any details on these blocks, so if any of you guys have that or know where to find it and would like to share that, man that would be very much appreciated!!! Since I don't have that as of yet, let's just for the sake of it use for an example of a stock LS motor, which is the latest small block Chevrolet. Sorry about that my Blue Oval brothas, but these motors I do know so I'll just use that just for an example. Anyways the LS deck heights are supposed to be at 9.240. So let's say we're having one of those blocks decked. Now one side may be 9.239 and the other is 9.237. Well, with that the machinist is going to have to bring both to the same height, so it's going to have to be less than that 9.237, with it being the lowest side... We can always take away but not add, so that's why the lower side. Now let's just say the machinist makes a pass and it cleans up and leaves us a deck height of 9.235, then the other side needs to be cut down to match this deck height of 9.235 as well. Now once that's done we have two decks that are to be said square with the crankshaft centerline!!! And it is this number I'm going to need which will be very important when I have the crankshaft rod journals turned down. All it takes is the measurements and little bit of math and I should end up right where I need to be. A stronger rod with the 6.0 rods fitted in a 6.7 engine. I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but the 6.0 rods do have a smaller rod journal than the 6.7s. This is why the crankshaft rod journals need to be turned down. And that being somewhere just over 100 thousands of an inch. And not only that but the 6.7 rods or a tad bit longer. So all this needs to be taken into account to make sure we have a piston that comes out the hole just as it did with the 6.7 rods. Also the 6.0 rods have little bit thicker ends (about .030) at the rod journals than 6.7s so those will have to be surfaced down a bit as well.....

So yeah, this may look a bit intimidating to most, but trust me guys in the Hot Rod world guys have been manipulating small and block engines of all makes for a long, long, long time. This is nothing new. You just have to have all the details correct and some good machine work and you can make magic happen!!!!

Once I get all my parts together and I get it over to the machine shop I'll see if those guys don't mind me taking some pictures of the machining work as it's being done and I'll post them all here to share with you guys.....

Again, if anyone sees anything I that I may have wrong here, you're more than welcome to speak up. But then again, if you're just one of those guys that just hates to see someone else doing a little something outside of your own capabilities and you just feel the need to talk chit, well then please just keep your negativity to your own pathetic self!!! Now I don't know if I could have said that any nicer..... I'm always willing to learn and always willing to share in doing so, and I think there's plenty folks who just may appreciate that...So let's see if we can keep this civil and have some fun along the way!!! :naughty:

Thanks again, and may the Blue Oval always be with you!!!:ford:

DaCajun

Reaction score
One more thing to add;

A 6.0 PowerStroke Rod on the left, and a skimpy 6.7 Rod on the right.

ede_67_pmrcrs_zpslhmpupql.jpg

Quite a difference right!!!!

Now really, both of them are Powered metal but the 6.0 rods are to be known to handle somewhere around the 750hp mark....And to be completely honest, it's not really the Horsepower that hurts the rods, it's all those damn massive amounts of torque!!! But most of the time they use the HP numbers, so we'll just go with that....Now depending on the cost, I may even go as far as sending them off to have them cryo'ed for a bit more strength, but we'll see when the time comes around....But the pistons are certainly going to have the crowns coated with a good quality ceramic coating!!! Just another little thing to do for peace of mind!!! Ok then, till then.....:ford:

Kind

Reaction score

Doubt he'd fit in a civic.

psduser1

Reaction score
One more thing to add;

A 6.0 PowerStroke Rod on the left, and a skimpy 6.7 Rod on the right.

ede_67_pmrcrs_zpslhmpupql.jpg

Quite a difference right!!!!

Now really, both of them are Powered metal but the 6.0 rods are to be known to handle somewhere around the 750hp mark....And to be completely honest, it's not really the Horsepower that hurts the rods, it's all those damn massive amounts of torque!!! But most of the time they use the HP numbers, so we'll just go with that....Now depending on the cost, I may even go as far as sending them off to have them cryo'ed for a bit more strength, but we'll see when the time comes around....But the pistons are certainly going to have the crowns coated with a good quality ceramic coating!!! Just another little thing to do for peace of mind!!! Ok then, till then.....:ford:

Nice to see a detailed build!
Any idea of rod weight differences between the 6.0 and 6.7?

Reaction score
This can absolutely be done. Nothing to worry about. More than your average joe may care to partake in. Long before I ever started in the diesel performance world, I built a lot of bbf's. Bore, stroke and all that is only relative to your imagination. If you have the ability or knowledge it's not a biggie.

Sounds like you have a good grasp on the subject at hand. I look forward to seeing your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaCajun

Reaction score
Nice to see a detailed build!
Any idea of rod weight differences between the 6.0 and 6.7?

No sir, no idea as of yet. But just holding them in each hand you'd think it would be very apparent, but surprisingly it's not!!! I'm going to ether purchase a gram scale, (one of them druggy scales) or bring it to the machine shop and weight em there.... Whatever I do I shall post back with the weights of each.... But I'm pretty sure the 6.0 rods are going to be a bit heavier, just how much we will see!!!

And thanks again guys for the all interest and the nice compliments!!! :thumbup:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I would use the machine shop scale. A very accurate one is very expensive. Your talking about a triple beam! Lol.... druggy scale!

DaCajun

Reaction score
I would use the machine shop scale. A very accurate one is very expensive. Your talking about a triple beam! Lol.... druggy scale!

Yeah, I believe you are correct yet again!!! There's no real need for me to go out and purchase a scale something that'll I just use once or twice... That money can go to parts, cus I'm needing lots of parts!!! I'm not only building this engine but also building my own custom four link rear suspension with Air Bags instead of leaf springs. My goal is to have some pretty impressive power along with an F450 with a decent ride just as well!!! A tall order? Yes, but one that I feel is very obtainable!!! It's just going to take some effort!!! :cool:

DaCajun

Reaction score
Gatdamn! What do you do for a living? Whatever is it, sign me up haha! Very interested in this build, can't wait to see it running

:D Man I don't know that this one could be referred to as one of them high dollar builds you see on here from time to time as those guys spend over three grand just on their rods (billet)!!! As I said earlier in all the above, I just couldn't justify those for my build!!! Now, I surely wish I could, but I also have a 3000hp twin turbo build going on right now as well for my main drag car and the billet block for that thing is costing me over $14000!!!! And cus of that I'm having to eat many, many sandwiches and ramen noodle soups!!!! The things we do for our hobbies, huh??? :thumbsup: Oh well, I suppose we could be doing much, much worse things, or at least that's how I TRY to justify this sickness, cus it is a sickness!!! :naughty:

And I do thank you for your interest!!! :toast:

Latest posts

Members online