6.7 intercooler in a 7.3

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
because its a water to air intercooler. not many diesels out there are equipped or even have played with it yet unless your a big power guy. it keeps the 6.7 at unbelievable EGTS as far as stock goes and the lack of piping compared to a traditional intercooler means almost no boost drop. when I do twins ill probably make a water to air happen for myself too. There is so much potential with the right set up.

Tpower, if you do this ill be interested in your results, not sure what your setup is though.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
there is more to egts than just inlet temperature. Common rail injection makes a big difference on how the egts and horsepower correlate.

i have wondered how good the stock air to water is in a 6.7 and i have heard that anything over a stock turbo and its not much good and actually throws an ineffiecency code. so im thinking unless you plan to use it with a stock turbo it might not be worth your time. Plus im not sure what kinda pressure drop is seen across it. Plus you need the whole system, coolers, pump, tank ect

JD3020

Reaction score
^Yep, i've heard they aren't the greatest as well. Probably be cheaper/easier to do a A/W with aftermarket parts. Its something i've thought about before and seen several set-ups on pullers, but never seen it done on a street truck.

Reaction score
there is more to egts than just inlet temperature. Common rail injection makes a big difference on how the egts and horsepower correlate.

:whs: Injection quality makes a big difference.

I wouldn't bother messing with the 6.7 cooler. If you're looking to lower EGTs for towing, play with your turbo/injector combination and/or your tuning.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Have you completed the math to see the effect on air density to see the potential power increase for a change in a 20 deg F change in inlet temps?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Since this is in the 7tree section, wouldnt an aftermarket IC be a better option? Like a banks(go ahead and laugh, some of the nicest all aluminum heat exchangers around).

Reaction score
The big advantage of the 6.7 system is to be able to regulate it better in cold weather and make a more predictable intake air charge to help with emissions. Other than that it is very over complicated and leaves a lot more crap I a place to do a subpar job IMO.

Our 6.7 will be getting an air to air setup at some point.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.