6.7 preventative maintenance

crawlerhauler

Reaction score
OK guys. I'm new to the forum and here's the deal. I'm planning on ordering a new 2015 6.7 here in a couple months. I'm due for a new truck and I get a discount on fords through my work so it's a no brainer. So here's my question: since I'm planning on dropping around 50k on a new truck I obviously want to put the best fluids and additives in it so it'll last me a long time but what's the best? I'm talking everything. Oil, fuel, everything. I figured you can't go wrong with amisol synthetic but let's here it. Or shoot me a link

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
OK guys. I'm new to the forum and here's the deal. I'm planning on ordering a new 2015 6.7 here in a couple months. I'm due for a new truck and I get a discount on fords through my work so it's a no brainer. So here's my question: since I'm planning on dropping around 50k on a new truck I obviously want to put the best fluids and additives in it so it'll last me a long time but what's the best? I'm talking everything. Oil, fuel, everything. I figured you can't go wrong with amisol synthetic but let's here it. Or shoot me a link

build the motor , rods , pistons, valve train , give it fuel and a lot of air . #reliability

charles henson

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Buy an f150 these things are basically 4 wheeled harley davidsons just a huge $ pit,dont say you werent warned by someone whos had both,miss my old 13 f150 screwcab fx4 5.0 never did anything but gas&oil period&only 8qts of oil every 7500 miles.plus 87octane [email protected] now im getting 16.5 with a rclb on expensive diesel&have to change oil@5000 due to freaking emissions contaminating the oil&not 1but2 fuel filters every 10000mi.&dont forget to purge the water from fuel(no need on f150)or you may have big expensive non warranteed issues+people are complaining of air filters not lasting long.Its your$&now you can make an educated decision.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Buy an f150 these things are basically 4 wheeled harley davidsons just a huge $ pit,dont say you werent warned by someone whos had both,miss my old 13 f150 screwcab fx4 5.0 never did anything but gas&oil period&only 8qts of oil every 7500 miles.plus 87octane [email protected] now im getting 16.5 with a rclb on expensive diesel&have to change oil@5000 due to freaking emissions contaminating the oil&not 1but2 fuel filters every 10000mi.&dont forget to purge the water from fuel(no need on f150)or you may have big expensive non warranteed issues+people are complaining of air filters not lasting long.Its your$&now you can make an educated decision.
Impressive

charles henson

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Dont forget your camel piss&im sure im missing something,but if you must have a heavy duty truck&drive long distances regularly&someone else is paying for your fuel get it as it is a great truck.thx guys.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Charles, I had an F150 EcoBoost and would never go back. That piece of junk got worse mileage than my 6.7 and was awful when I hooked my trailer to it. If you're so unhappy with the added cost of owning a diesel, why did you buy one? Sounds like you want to get out of your truck and go back to a 5.0 F150. I bought my truck for the reliability and because I put 20k mileage plus on a year.

OP, the 6.7's are the best truck you can buy IMHO. Personally, I take mine to the dealer and have them service it. I bought the extended power train warranty and don't want to give them any reason to cancel my warranty for any reason. I also run the Ford fuel additive and DEF, just because I get a discount on them from the dealer. I wish you the best of luck with your new truck!

Last edited:

charles henson

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I didnt have the eco junk or ego boost,but had 4 great 5.0s with very low maintenance cost,not saying this powerstroke is bad just nothing great&alot of extra maintenance is required,never had to crawl under my f150 every mo.to drain water from a seperator or else pay for repairs,it was turn key&drive just saying.I do however love knowing i have the ability to tow 18 round rolls of hey up a mountain effortlessly though,but it does comes@a cost.

Reaction score
Charles, you know the OP was not asking your opinion on whether or not he should buy a 6.7 power stroke right? He was saying when he DOES buy it, how should he maintain it. Your responses are not relevant to his question and are just derailing the thread. If the OP said, "Hey guys, should I get a 6.7 power stroke or a 5.0 F150?", there would be your time to shine and shout your thoughts from the rooftop!! So lets maybe keep your personal regrets of purchasing a diesel and the costs associated with it VS an F150 to yourself until that thread opens. OK? Great...moving on!

Crawlerhauler, fluid brands are kindve a debatable topic for most people on here as far as oil goes. Some use Shell, some use Motorcraft, some use Amsoil. But one thing most will agree on, is you should use Motorcraft oil and Motorcraft fuel filters on your truck. I also run the Motorcraft cetane booster with every tank of fuel which also has lubricity agents as well as some cleaning detergents. But others may use power service or other brands of fuel additive to help make their fuel system happier and possibly live longer. Obviously a fuel additive is not a requirement, just something I personally use. Also, make sure to drain your fuel water separator monthly, if not every couple weeks depending on how much you use your truck. Hope this helps a little!

charles henson

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I agree&just trying to let him know that theres much more to maintaining these then mere oil changes and to worry about upgraded oil is the least of his future worries that is all.

crawlerhauler

Reaction score
BuiltPowerStrokeTough thanks that's what I was looking for. I have no fear of handling regular maintenance myself I just wanted to know what you guys were using. I can get fleetrite DEF fluid from my work for next to nothing since a lot of our service trucks are 11-14 Super Dutys.

Jelly Role

Reaction score
Charles, you know the OP was not asking your opinion on whether or not he should buy a 6.7 power stroke right? He was saying when he DOES buy it, how should he maintain it. Your responses are not relevant to his question and are just derailing the thread. If the OP said, "Hey guys, should I get a 6.7 power stroke or a 5.0 F150?", there would be your time to shine and shout your thoughts from the rooftop!! So lets maybe keep your personal regrets of purchasing a diesel and the costs associated with it VS an F150 to yourself until that thread opens. OK? Great...moving on!

** NOTE TO ALL USERS, PSA is a "bully-free zone". **

Latest posts

Members online