6.7 reliability issues?

psduser1

Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't get up here much, more of a low-tech guy 7.3!).
Buddy of mine is asking about the 6.7, and i can't really answer his questions. He's thinking of buying a new diesel, coming from the 5.4, and he's a little nervous to make the jump.
I am looking for reliability issus on stock trucks, not really any kind of horsepower mods, just issues anyone may have had, fixes, cost of repair, etc.

Thanks in advance.

08murderedout

Reaction score
My buddy works at ford and said the only problems were

1. The occasional miss shift in the tranny
2. job 1s turbos were loose

and thats it

psduser1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, folks. Possibly, trans issues, turbo, sounds like standard assembly line f-UPS. No other lurking issues like hub bearings, etc?
Also anybody want to post up mpg? I'm trying to give him a reason to go diesel, as opposed to buying another gasser. ;)

quicksilver11

Reaction score
Don't go read thedieselstop.com. According to those guys these trucks are the worse that ford has ever built.

Mine gets 17.5mpg on the highway. City is about 15.5-16. Only 3200 miles on it though.

Dieselcraft

Reaction score
Don't go read thedieselstop.com. According to those guys these trucks are the worse that ford has ever built.

Mine gets 17.5mpg on the highway. City is about 15.5-16. Only 3200 miles on it though.

that fourm is full of DODGE D BAGS

there good truck only seen a handfull of failures
1 f550 work truck cracked exhuast valves fomoco programing issue
2 f250 fleet truck 9k miles cyl2 rod bearing sized no explainable reason
3 a couple of trans issues needing new solinoides per tsb
4 egr cooler failure slowly eating coolant
5 2ndary rad leaking coolant at left crimps

not a bad track record so far

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
that fourm is full of DODGE D BAGS

there good truck only seen a handfull of failures
1 f550 work truck cracked exhuast valves fomoco programing issue
2 f250 fleet truck 9k miles cyl2 rod bearing sized no explainable reason
3 a couple of trans issues needing new solinoides per tsb
4 egr cooler failure slowly eating coolant
5 2ndary rad leaking coolant at left crimps

not a bad track record so far

I think i will stay with a 7.3L..

If what you wrote above is somthing that happens, and is not rare to see. Then I will NEVER buy one... i would go with a 6.0L first!!

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Do what you want, but I bought my truck used with a little over 16k on it and am just over 20k and it is phenomenal. I had a '97 F-350 and an '04 6.0, both of which were great, and this is by far the best running one of the three. I loved both my '97 and 6.0, but this thing is just amazing. It is just as strong feeling as my 6.0 with the Street Tune.

Is there a chance that there could be an issue? Yes. Does that make it a bad power plant? No. There will always be people that have their favorite platforms and refuse to see the potential elsewhere. For everyone that thinks the 7.3 is great there is someone that thinks a 12V Cummins is where it's at.

Sorry for the rant, but I can't stand these threads that ask a generic question about reliability. There is no real way to answer them without a opinionated generalization without any sorts of numbers, which I am guilty of as well. All you can do is try one and see how they are and maybe talk to the service department at your local dealership for feedback.

Good Luck!

Chris

Reaction score
there have been 1 or 2 guys that had the fuel pump fail. very expensive, and ford denied warranty for some pretty weak excuse. those failures are by far the minority compared to the number of units sold. you do want to drain that water separator very regularly

1997psd23

Reaction score
My work truck is a 2011 F-450 repo truck. I have had one radiator leak and a rear pinion seal leak both warrantied. Just hit 41,000 miles i love this truck but i sure wish they didn't turn it down to 300hp. and I get 11.5mpg, pretty low gearing though. If i was looking for a new truck I would get the 6.7 for sure.

scorps67

Reaction score
I love my 250, nothing crazy with it thus far past maybe the truck starting to slowly settle itself out. I've got around 1700 on the ticker so far (a hair above, actually, I think), and so far the best I've seen has been 19.2 mpg, according to the truck's info center. I'm averaging around 17.5 across the board though. Looking forward to even better across the board once it gets all the way broken in and settled down.

psduser1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys.
The problems above seem to follow what I've seen myself. Im partial to a 7.3l myself, however a new truck is still nice. I haven't gotten buddy to jump yet, but he's definitely interested. I'll koeep giving him your input.:)

Spindrift

Reaction score
I've been talking to my brother who spends his time on the ford -trucks forum. There are several threads about how small amounts of water can waste the Bosch fuel system. Apparently, ford looks for every excuse to deny the warranty claim. The boys over there certainly aren't giving out any props to ford. They believe the 6.7l is a ticking time bomb. I have absolute no experience with 6.7 so I'm very interested to see how things turn out. I'm confused by how two different groups can have such drastically differently experiences with the same truck.

CamTom12

Reaction score
I'm sure there have been your typical lemons associated with a new model-year and engine, but some folks are just ridiculous.

"It's new, it's not a 7.3, it shouldn't be trusted." Sheesh. Plus, all forum-warriors are ever likely to see is when people post problems. It's not too often that you see a dude start a thread titled "my truck is doing great, just thought you should know."

And, believe it or not, most people are sheeple and will unconsciously follow the "personality" of the group they're in. If they're on the fence about something and everyone around them is negative, they're more likely to go that way. This forum has a very positive personality.

JMart

Reaction score
The Ford master diesel mechanic I go to when I have a question just bought a 2012 6.7 and sold his 7.3 a few months ago. So far he has no regrets.

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
im a ford tech and so far the only real prob has been a engine water pump not the one for the egr system with a bad seal. other than that we had one come in with a tranny leaking at the input shaft. 2 seperate trucks covered by waranty. iv drove a few and gota say they pull like a train and are very solid trucks with great interiors.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.