6.7 secondary wastegate discussion

sootboy

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I was looking through some literature on the 6.7 today, and it talked about the EGR valve being used as a secondary wastegate in high boost situation's.

Then I started wondering out of all the trucks I have seen or heard of turbo replacements on how many were deleted (all of them) and how many had tightened or adjusted the wastegate (a few i know of).

It also seems like without the backpressure of the dpf that would fuel the fire as far as overspeed.

My point is would a wastegate kit plumbed into the passenger side manifold and piped back to the downpipe be enough to relieve the pressure and get a few extra rwhp out of the stock charger.

I know the restrictive exhaust is the problem, but is a complete turbo kit/replacement required?

We have decided that there is not much fuel available for added power over and above.
With the egr cooler out of the way we have plenty of room.
I think a wastegate kit could be made for around 500 dollars.

Any thought?

WoodBoy

Reaction score
My thought is that a "leader in aftermarket performance company" should be providing information to guys on this forum, not asking. This is done through R&D

sootboy

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
My thought is that a "leader in aftermarket performance company" should be providing information to guys on this forum, not asking. This is done through R&D

I am not on .org, I am just another guy here.
I am not real in to r and d if you haven't noticed.
I would gladly build one if someone wanted to try it.
Its just a gate and piping though nothing really to build.

I think this would be a good project for steve at absolute.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I am not on .org, I am just another guy here. i didnt see you mentioned with .dork
I am not real in to r and d if you haven't noticed. you have proved that repeatedly
I would gladly build one if someone wanted to try it. i'll bet you would, and it would probaly be a train wreck
Its just a gate and piping though nothing really to build. if its thats simple why did you ask

I think this would be a good project for steve at absolute.

not sure where steve falls into this equation, but stevie wonder could plumb a gate off the egr flange if needbe. its just a flange. maybe the leader in 6.7 performance can get it done. what do i know, im not trying to move forward in the power game, i cant live up to my username as it is. i guess my acheivements with the 7.3 just dont proceed me !!! boo i get no credit for making power these days !!

sootboy

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I am in charge at CFD,
I do repair work and upgrade Jeff you know that.
The only reason we made a turbo kit is because you couldn't get one anywhere else.
Yes Big power I think with stock fuel this will let you run beside a single turbo.
It is easy to make yes, but Steve likes to take things that are easy to make and do kits, like the hoses for egr cooler, or pcv deletes.
I wasn't belittling him like you are implying.
It is just his knack, and allot of guys like to buy stuff in a nice package rather than a diy kit.

Actually I was thinking of using the factory egr inlet pipe, and bracing of the egr delete plate on vc. Then attaching wastegate off that end of the flange.

Then just piping it out the fender well for a while so you can see it open.

I guess that would be like a 400 dollar kit.
parts list:
38mm tial, adapter flange, brace, outlet pipe, and a 1/8 barb to 1/8 npt fitting with boost line.

Last edited:

sootboy

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
not sure where steve falls into this equation, but stevie wonder could plumb a gate off the egr flange if needbe. its just a flange. maybe the leader in 6.7 performance can get it done. what do i know, im not trying to move forward in the power game, i cant live up to my username as it is. i guess my acheivements with the 7.3 just dont proceed me !!! boo i get no credit for making power these days !!

Stevie Wonder Quit because you guys treated him so bad LOL

I need a new fab guy

sootboy

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The turbos fail on stock trucks just as much. Kinda takes the wind out of your sails.

I have sold 100 turbo kits and not one asked for a tuner to go along with it.
I just can't see your point.

Maybe they are getting the tuners from you though....you do have great pricing

sootboy

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
That's a lot of kits.... Just saying

I never thought it would happen, I figured 5 or 10 and then a larger company would take over.

Back on topic, I am pretty sure if you leave the truck stock the turbo is relatively reliable.
But if just adding a secondary wastegate in place of egr would help, and the cost of a wastegate kit was say 450 or 500 and egr delete kits are 300.........

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
one day eric, im gonna break the 500hp barrier !!! im down to go sailing !!!

Me too me too.

I have sold 100 turbo kits and not one asked for a tuner to go along with it.
I just can't see your point.

Maybe they are getting the tuners from you though....you do have great pricing

If that's what your basing it off of I don't know what else to say.

sootboy

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Me too me too.

If that's what your basing it off of I don't know what else to say.

I don't know what else to base it off of.
i called a few associates and I have a ford senior master that just left the dealer as a tech and they all think for the most part the stock trucks are holding up well with the exception of the cab and chassis.
Which fwiw the cab and chassis do not have a wastegate either.

sootboy

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
As an update I did match up the egr plate to the tial wastegate I have in stock.
The flange is very simalar. The center diameter is the correct size.
However the bolt holes would require offset about .25"

04stroker

Reaction score
I have personally seen just as many stock trucks blow them as tuned ones. Ours was tuned since new and turbo lasted 100k miles originally. Friendof mine had a bone stock 6.7 turbo at 25k another at 40k.

Latest posts

Members online