6.7 weird noise after shut down

Big Bad 6.4

Reaction score
So my dad has a 2012 F-350, only upgrade motor wise is a S&B CAI. 30,000 miles, up to date on all fluids and filters, needless to say he takes very good care of this truck. For about the past 4 months when he shuts down there is a noise that sounds like the fuel pump running which typically lasts about 1-2 minutes and then stops with what I can best describe as a sucking or plunger type noise. We don't notice any leaks, power loss, codes, nothing.

Has anyone else heard of this or experienced it? Thanks in advance.

CallMeColt

Reaction score
I've been having the same noise with no apparent symptoms for 2 months.

Did some searching on here & found people saying it is a vacuum leak or waste gate solonoid.

Also read tapping the brake when it starts will stop it & it does...... to only come back a minute or two after! Was doing some gun repair in the garage & all the sudden..... bzzzzz.

Going to follow your thread & see who pops in with some good knowledge before I start buying uneeded parts. Go figure that my extended warranty ended a few thousand miles ago.

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Why would it all the sudden start making so much noise though? I have 140,000 miles almost & it never made the noise. Pump wearing out maybe?

bad moose

Reaction score
Maybe? I know I just started hearing mine at around 60 000 miles. Never noticed it before. I know all my sprayers with def do it and that's how I recognized the sound and length.

Big Bad 6.4

Reaction score
So I was cruising the web and found this on ford-trucks.com Quote from ford-truckQuote:
"22508 ; 2011-2012 6.7L PICK UP TRUCK - BUZZING UNDER HOOD AFTER SHUTDOWN
SOME 2011-2012 F250-450 SUPER DUTY PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH A 6.7L DIESEL ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A BUZZING NOISE FROM UNDER THE HOOD AFTER THE ENGINE IS SHUT OFF. THE BUZZING NOISE IS CAUSED BY NORMAL VACUUM BLEED OFF IN THE VACUUM SYSTEM RESULTING IN THE WASTE-GATE SOLENOID BUZZING. THIS NOISE NORMALLY LASTS FOR APPROXIMATELY 30 SECONDS. ENGINEERING HAS REVIEWED RETURNED COMPONENTS AND DETERMINED THIS IS A NORMAL VEHICLE CHARACTERISTIC. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THIS NOISE. CHASSIS CAB VEHICLES DO NOT APPLY TO THIS ARTICLE BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT EQUIPPED WITH WASTE-GATE.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08-SEPTEMBER-2012"

Jomax

Reaction score
Mine does the clicking noise when off since new.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

CallMeColt

Reaction score
This is more than a click or quick buzz..... mine made those since day one. More annoying than anything.

CallMeColt

Reaction score
So I got out of my truck to unlock a gate today & heard the noise while the truck was just running. First I've noticed that.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Replacing the w as stegate harness per the tsb that was mentioned fixes the issue. If i remember correctly, the way the tsb calls out the failed part, it is warrantied under the diesel engine coverage which is 5/100. You could always have coverage checked by the dealer.

CallMeColt

Reaction score
I'm way past the factory & extended coverage. As long as it's nothing more than an annoying noise, I can tolerate it. Thanks though.

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Funny... I had gotten used to the noise. A few weeks ago, I noticed it stopped. Never had any issues because of it though.

joestroo

Reaction score
This happened to my truck a month or so ago, it was the waste gate vacuum line. Picked up the part and a had a buddy change it for me, no noise sense.

BigJerm7

Reaction score
There's another TSB that tells you how to fix it and gives you the part #. I replaced mine 3 months ago and it quit. Pretty easy. Just follow the wire and replace it. It's like a vacuum line. Mine is ******d and still did it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.