600-700hp E40D what is nessesary?

cbuttre835

Reaction score
I have a "buddy built" transmission with less than 2,000 miles on it but I like it. He used factory clutches, factory planets (upgraded 4 and 6 gear ones though), and a Superior valve body. He mentioned clutches stripping out and even steered me towards a billet twin disc converter instead of a triple... they had the fewest issues with those due to the plates being a tad thicker, he said. He tuned the shifting in the valve body and the truck shifts perfectly. I had done the 'sonnax-and-springs' and it shifted fine, but was a tad hard in retrospect - but better than the slow, mushy factory shifts. He dialed it in perfect.

I am running 2 Hayden 1679 coolers with the radiator "cooler" bypassed and I hardly see any movement on the gauge unloaded. I did get it up to 135 deg. while grossing 19,000+ hauling rock in a dump trailer.

My buddy has spent 30 years building transmissions - they are the warranty shop for basically all the car dealers in town - he has seen lots of stuff break and knows what the weak points are.

I priced Swamp's too and they were price competetive; they have a couple packages less beefy than a full BTS-type build and they are local to me too... but it came down to simple economics.

I got in mine for less than $3k and it should hold 450 HP he said. For me, the cost, the wait, extra cost of shipping, and paying a local shop $400 or so to R&R (I don't have the tools or comfort level to do that myself) a BTS made it a near $6,000 option.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
BTS and JW have parts that NOBODY can get...they designed them and have manufactured to their specs...so take your chances and save a little or get the best trans available..and never pay for a trans again.

BTS's are not that expensive as some think and we drop ship them at the best price you can get.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Personally I'm a believer in Brian's transmissions but like you I decided to build my own but more so for the experience. Before I built my transmission I did my hw and read up as much specs as I could on both bts and john wood transmissions. They both use stock oem spec borgwarner clutches (don't use red eagles they are to thin and the teeth are too soft) so I would start there, then for the clutch clearance go as tight as ford reccomends for a quicker apply time, steel planetarys, cryogenically treated shafts and drums, then machine the pressure plates (step plates) to add one extra clutch and steel to every clutch pack, machine both sides of the center support and put a snap ring on both sides of it (the center support is aluminum and by doing this prevents walking), use the transgo tugger kit on the pump, Precision torque converter, and then tell brian how much power you estimate your truck is running and what tuner you have and he'll build you a valve body accordingly to your truck. This aint no Brian's truck Shop transmission but It should hold. Good Luck

^^^^^^^^Listen to this guy, he's done his homework.

Here's a pic of the HD clutches that came out of my Suncoast trans.
PART_1346373421890.jpg

Powerstroker66.....
I'm happy with my Punisher trans. Give Paul a call, he's about 3.5 hours away from you. He knows Brian and JW.

Brian turned me off after I called him 5 times and no call back. I kept leaving messages with the girls and that's how far it got.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Terry_7.3

Reaction score
I just got my BTS a couple weeks ago through OBSWIZ. I love the way it shifts. I got it pretty quickly and the price wasn't to bad in my opinion especially for the warranty it comes with!

Clipper

Reaction score
I contacted a bts dealer and after hearing that it would be an "affordable" $6k, I asked about one of these used bts on the forums and got a sarcastic answer that it wouldn't work, that's it. Needless to say, even if I win the lotto and buy a bts, it won't be threw them. Post up if you get a used one and have good luck

Rupp250

Reaction score
Are you saying that if you buy a used JW or BTS that the warranty transfers over?

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
I had a customer that purchased a truck with a BTS already in it for just over 2 years. It shortly after we t out on him. He called and Brian said cover shipping and he would take care of it. This took a good little while due to Brian's work load, but I thought it was very standup of him. Customer recieved it back and shortly after did the same thing. Left him on the side of the road. Called again and Brian said the same, cover shipping and it would be taken care of. Again, thought it very stand up of Brian due to the fact this person never spent a dime with him and the original sale date was past two years at this point. The customer however was quite irritated at this point as he had a truck with no trans in it longer than was in it at this point. It was repaired and truck was sold. Still going to this day last I heard.

powerstroker66

Reaction score
yes, I asked him about he warranty and he said anything over 2 years you pay shipping and he takes care of the rest. Unless its an electrical item like a solenoid pack, but if it is a mechanical failure he will fix it fee of charge....now i've herd the down side of that aswell, a guy I talked to keept snapping intermediate shafts and Brian refused to pay for it and he used his "no written warranty" to say he doesn't have to...due to driver error even though he claims his E40Ds are build to handle 800hp and this guy was at about 600hp...but that was the only bad claim I've herd other then the 1 month turn around time..

big green stroker

Reaction score
well brian is pushing over 1000 hp out of his super duty and has his tranny behind it and dosent have any problems is what they told me when i called and its $4500 for his tranny

Clipper

Reaction score
well brian is pushing over 1000 hp out of his super duty and has his tranny behind it and dosent have any problems is what they told me when i called and its $4500 for his tranny

if you can get a new BTS trans for $4500 shipped, please let me know. When I just contacted a dealer for BTS, he quoted me $5700.

Latest posts

Members online